Re: 1980 f150- rear axle seals

You must be taking smart pills. old john

Hello, matt! You wrote on Tue, 11 Apr 2006 05:16:32 GMT:

m> now that i got this thing all up in the air, i notice that it has m> leakage on the rear axle seals, as i look at this thing the back plate m> is welded to the differential, looks factory ...please dont tell me i m> have to monkey with the differential to remove the axle to get to the m> seal...it appears that it can only be accessed from the front which m> means that i will have to take off the drive shaft?

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
ajeeperman

Which axle do you have? The 9inch or the 8.8. They are serviced differently. The 9inch doesn't require you to touch the differential to service the axle seals. You remove the brake drums and shoes and then, remove the axle retainer bolts. The axle can then be removed. You can use an axle puller or, the old standby of using a chain to attach the wheel to the axle and giving the tire and wheel a healthy toss. When the slack comes out of the chain the axle should pop out. There are better ways to do it if you have tools. A 10 lb slide hammer with the correct adapter will do it.

On the 8,8 axle, you have to remove the differential cover. Remove the lock bolt and push the axles inward a bit. Remove the "C" clips from the ends of the axles and slip the axles out. Now that your hands are dirty, make sure the bearing surfaces on the axles are in good shape. Use a slide hammer with a bearing puller to replace the axle bearings while you are there. My experience has been that the axle bearings are good for about 100k miles and they are usually noiser than you think. The job is best done while you have it apart anyway on the 8.8. This is not the case on the 9 incher. You should use a bearing driver to install the bearings in the 8.8.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

it is leaking from the axles behind the behind the drum brake assembly...

Reply to
matt

I'll add a bit. If it is the type with the axles held in with C-clips, very thoroughly inspect the axle area that ride on the outer bearings. Any pitting, or marring replace the axle shafts and the bearings, unless you like changing seals and bearings. There are so called "offset bearing and seal assemblies" that are supposed to fix this issue. The rollers are smaller, the seal non standard, and I have never seen one last more than about 10,000 miles before leaking again. Given the rollers are smaller,and the weight is transferred to a different thinner part of the axle tube, wouldn't trust them to haul weight ether.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning