GM hurtin'.....

Aw! Too bad, my heart bleeds!
After my experience with GM and their dealers late last year with the paint lamination problem (flaking off like dandruff) I have no
sympathy. This stock and the company behind it deserves to shrink into oblivion. The future strength of a company lies in the loyalties of past, current and future customers. All customers! Not just a few diehards who defend their vehicles no matter what. I do not think GM management have a clue what is going on and what is being said on the streets and in the investor world.
Since my last contact with the GM dealer I thrashed the "Impala" brochure I downloaded; I decided AGAINST BUYING THIS CAR. Over the Christmas holidays I convinced my dad against it also. That is two car sales lost. A neighbor expressed enough concern to redirect his car buying elsewhere. Three car sales lost and with them the maintenance and parts income for the next several years. Lost income over a $1000+ paint job to fix a common well known problem is really adding up to the many thousands of profit dollars and affecting the pocketbooks of GM shareholders.
What is so ironic is I would have been happy to receive a compensation offer of half the cost of a new paint job ($500 to $800). I would have been enjoying a new Impala this June or July instead of a new Camry or Accord I am now looking at to replace my truck. No manufacturer is completely immune from defects or dishonest dealers but how customers are treated speaks volumes. TOYOTA GAINING GROUND ON GM AND IS PREDICTED TO TAKE OVER NUMBER 1 SPOT IN WORLD!!!!
Thankfully, only one of my 10 mutual fund holdings have GM in their portfolio and they seem to be steadily reducing their exposure.
How the customer is treated, especially when dealing with product issues, is 80% of the ballgame for getting the customer back for the next vehicle. The other 20% is providing a product the customer base actually want (using focus groups, etc. to tell them what that is...not, as Lutz puts it, force things on the customer that don't want). So GM also gets a big "F" from me in the "customer" category (from my personal experience). However, I believe that their products are generally fairly good products...albeit WAY too "gimmicky" and "cutsie". (e.g.: auto speed-sensitive radio volume control, auto headlights, auto butt wipers, etc. are all unnecessary annoyances to some of us). Between both situations...there will be no GM vehicle in my driveway any time soon either. Fix those things (or let a customer "opt-out" of the stupid girly stuff) and then I *may* come back. I also *may* repurchase the GM stock I once owned as well! Will it happen? Doesn't look like it. Maybe when their market share dwindles down to 5% will someone finally wake up! And it's so simple...listen to the customer. Radical...huh?!

What model year was your Impala and how old was it and how many miles on the clock when the paint problem surfaced?
mike hunt
TroutFisherMan wrote:

I frankly don't think that is at all relevant.
I own a 1984 Chevrolet Celebrity white station wagon that I still drive. It has never been garaged, I bought it used, it is painted white and the paint is NOT delaminating.
There is no argument you can use that has any validity at all which states that auto paint on cars manufactured over the last decade is supposed to be 'worse' than what was painted by GM on their products over 20 years ago. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Ted
You need to tell that to the EPA and OSHA. Their mandating of new regulations for paint, and for those that apply it, without giving the pant manufactures time to develop new paint and process, is what led to the paint problems. Delimitation was not exclusive to GM, every manufacture, domestic and foreign that painted vehicles in the US, had the same problem. The underlying cause was ultra violet and infrared radiation had an adverse effect on certain colors of the new environmentally friendly paints. The fact was not apparent until after vehicle were subjected to it for several years. GM and the other manufactures, in cooperation with pant manufactures, eventually rectified the problem. GM and the other manufactures also repaint thousands of vehicles in the interim. Apparently yours did not fall into the time or mileage requirement to be covered by one of those extended warranties.
mike hunt
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

GM and Ford seemed to have especially bad problems with their paint processes. Just about ever 1980s Ford product in the sunny states had either the clear coat self destruct or the color coat delaminate from the primer. Zillions of GM products showed the delamination problem. I have seen far fewer of the transplant factories have those problems.
Endless good excuses do not bring customers back.
John
Me thinks your perception is clouded by time. Vehicles painted in other countries, not subject to the US mandate, did not have the problem. The vehicle of foreign manufactures painted in the US had the same paint problems with blues, reds and silver paints.
mike hunt
John Horner wrote:

I still see a whole bunch of built in Fremont, California 1980s vintage Geo Prizms, Toyota Corollas and Toyota Tacomas on the roads around here and very few of them have the characteristic burned off clear coat of Fords and separated from the primer of GM products from that era.
I think that you see all problems GM related as either not existing or the government's fault.
John
Your are entitled to your own opinion and can believe whatever you choose. Anyone in the auto business KNOWS that the paint and asbestos mandates cost the manufactures, their insurance carriers and their customer a lot of grief. Something that could have been avoided if the manufactures simply had more time to develop better alternatives than by setting arbitrary deadlines to comply.
mike hunt
John Horner wrote:

All I want to know is did you buy this car NEW or used?