GM MFIC speaks from auto show

This mornings news had a GM mucketymuck broadcasting from the auto show, and his tone was to reassure all us that GM has no plans to go bankrupt.

He admits they have serious problems, but - honestly or not - says that bankruptcy is not an option.

They plan to introduce new lines, creative engineering, blah blah.

They would do well to listen to their customers and find out what we like and what we dont, why we are backing off the various models, etc.

Reply to
<HLS

I doubt GM will ever go bankrupt, it just CAN'T happen....I'm sure someone would find a way to bail them out.

I for one an being supportive, only GM vehicles for me from here on out when I buy something new.

------------------------------------

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

Baaaaaaaa Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's rich.

Good! Tell em to build a car that has the fuel economy and long term reliability of the Honda Civic.

My daughter is driving a pre-owned 89 Civic with over 270K on the clock. She bought it in 98 when it had 110K on the meter. It's been in the shop twice in EIGHT YEARS for just a brake job and a timing belt repklacement.

IF THE JAPS CAN BUILD A HONDA CIVIV THAT RUNS FOR 17 YEARS WITH MINIMAL BREAKDOWNS, THEN WHY THE FRIG CAN'T GM DO THE SAME THING WITH A SATURN OR A CHEVY ?????

It seems all GM wants to do is have the customer buy a new car every 5 years either by the damm thing falling apart or getting tired of it.

Reply to
Michael 544

What make you say that? I'm sure there are quite a few Chevys over 17 years old that are still running fine and trouble free. How about 35 years or more with no major problems? I own a 1971 Pinto with nearly 300K on the clock that has the original drive train that looks and runs great.

I also own a 1941 Continental, 1964 Mustang, 1972 LTD Brougham, and a 1983 Continental Mark VI. They all have lots of miles on the clock and even win awards at car shows. All one needs to do is the proper preventive maintenance and any car you buy today will easily run up over 200K. Of course when one buys only used vehicles the problems, or lack there of, are more likely the result of poor maintenance by the previous owners(s) than the manufacture ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I owned a 1990 Honda Civic. I liked it, but it certainly wasn't problem free, and I got rid of it after about 100K (and 10 years of ownership). I had some serious throttle rust problems. Also, I had to replace the entire exhaust system. A circuit board that controlled ignition cracked and had to be replaced. Also, had to change the timing belt (but that was part of the regular maintenance routine). All in all, not a bad car, but not a miracle car either. The 2000 Honda Odyssey I owned had brake problems from the start. My understanding is that this vehicle has had transmission troubles as well (though I didn't experience this in the two years I owned the vehicle).

Reply to
c2rosa

And I have a 2002 Monte Carlo 3400 bought straight from the dealer with

3500 mile oil changes and dealer service. At 38000, I have had the lower manifold Intake leak, and the front rotors warped...the paint surface is chipping big time.

And about my 1990 Silhouette with 111, 000 miles.... I've fixed the alternator, battery, waterpump.... it has a leaky heater core back rear panel latch cylinder is broken...passenger side door latch is inoperative, and the TCC solenoid is defective..... this is on a car with "proper maintenance".

My friend has a 1994 Buick Regal 3800 engine.... ONLY 26,000 miles, kept garaged and well maintained (like a baby)...... replaced alternator at 24,000 miles AND uppper intake manifold plenum at 26,000.

I've got a lot more examples of GM (and Ford) product failing.... otoh most of

my Honda and Toyota friends are very happy with their cars......

Personally, I don't think you know what you're talking about....you must have

some agenda...do you work for GM??? Or get paid for shrilling for them ???

Reply to
Peter

Do you work for Toyota or get paid to bash GM? Just curious.

Reply to
c2

I don't work for anybody, I'm almost 80 years old. Although I own two vehicles, a 2005 and 2006, they are not GM products. The point is every manufacture makes some that are not up to snuff, including import brands. To imply in a NG that every vehicle made by particular manufacture domestic or foreign is good or bad based on the ONE you or your friends own is ridicules

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Exactly my point as well. Harping in a NG that brand 'X' is better than brand 'Y' is stupid. They all make some that are problematic no matter whose name is on the hood. Anybody who thinks otherwise is not really thinking. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, now I understand where part of it comes from

as to the other part...

Not one car, not two cars, not three cars , but 4 cars AND

all the failures are very predictable, as others have been discussing

these vunerabiliities .

Coupled with all the online reports about the 3.1, 3.4, 3.8 engine problems AND the reports of the alternators cooking....

How YOU get ONE car out of all of this is beyond my comprehension of how a rational mind works.

Which is why I think you have a personal agenda...( ie trying to

piss everyone off with unrealistic comments) or you are just a shill for

GM, sprouting information that flies in the face of all reality.

Here are some interesting numbers.......

Next time on the big board checkout the current and historical

numbers for GM (GM) and Toyota Motor Co. (TM).....

Someone is doing something right and it ain't GM.

Now Theoretically , if you want to get a turn around expert in at

GM...they are going to remove the operation from

union-control, and lower production costs by moving

operations to lower cost production countries. (which they have started doing).

And once the union has been busted, GM will reduce debt and liabilities by declaring a

Chapter 11

Bankruptcy.(reorganization and renegotiation of debt instruments with creditors).

And when they finally come out of Chapter 11.... if they have been unsuccessful

in unloading pension obligations under Chapter 11.... they will decrease their

pension obligation by turning to cash value pensions as other companies such

as IBM and HP have done.

At which time GM now becomes an attractive candidate for takeover and as I

understand it, the Chinese are looking for a foothold into the american car market.

However the GMAC group will continue to do just fine !!!

Reply to
Peter

I believe the word is "spouting".........

Reply to
Hairy

Unfortunately most auto companies don't listen to their customers. One of the worse cases of this recently was Chryslers very significant design change with the new 300 line, which left existing mid sized Chrysler buyers standing in the cold. Yes Chrysler has done very well selling these cars, but I know they aren't selling them to their previous mid sized buyers.

I my area of the North West the 300 isn't selling very well because the market is for more reasonable sized and fuel efficient vehicles. They have a very changed customer base for the 300 and I'm sure they don't car as long as they make money. My own Chrysler dealer put lots of pressure on me to buy the 300 and once they accepted that I wasn't going to buy what didn't meet my needs, even suggested I look at what they sell at the Toyota dealership they own. So they are covering their bases both ways, certainly adverse to selling the "enemies" car.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Your cars are obviously collector cars.

"Michael 544" was talking about a daily use car.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Plus you have no real experience owning an "import" vehicle and you like driving poor handling gas eating boats of cars.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Rest assure I have owned more import cars than you have owned cars, several brands as well. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Do you think they came from the factory with all those miles? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That would be "enemy's" car. Illiterate oaf......

Reply to
Hairy