00’Sonata CEL # P0100 - what next?

I bought a 2000 Sonata V6 w/ 87K miles and 4 days later i get the CEL. When I check the code it says P0100 - MAF VAF circuit malfunction. After I got the code off the car the CEL went away hasn?t yet appeared (been 40Miles since). I cant tell if the car drives different as I only had it for 3 days. :( I gather that it might be a faulty sensor or something. I am concerned as I need to get my emissions done this week.

  1. should I take it to the dealer?
  2. Are there any checks that I can perform to further find out what could be causing it?
3.Since the light hasn?t come back again is it o.k now? 4.DO any one know of any repair places that work on hyundai?s (reasonable and dependable) in the northern VA area?

thanks guys, in advance.

Reply to
NEELAPALA

It's possible there's a recall that needs to be done on your vehicle that relates to the issue you're having. Call your local Hyundai dealer with your VIN and ask them to check for open recalls. If recall 039 is open, take the car in for the recall to be done.

Dealers in Northern Virginia are Alexandria, Brown's (Manassas), Fairfax, and I believe another in Woodbridge whose name I cannot recall. The closest dealers across the bridge are Fitzgerald (Rockville) and Pohanka (Marlow Heights).

If the recall has already been done, register for a free account at

and check campaign bulletin 00-01-005. To the best of your ability verify the campaign has been done properly.

If the campaign has been done properly, you probably need a new air flow sensor. If you want to try this, it's simple enough to install. Just make sure the arrow indicating air flow direction points toward the throttle body.

The fact that the lamp went off means that there were three consecutive drive cycles when the issue wasn't present. As far as the computer is concerned, it's fixed for now.

I don't know of any places other than dealers that are good with driveability issues like yours. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I don't know about them.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundia tech, thank you for the info. I did call the dealership regarding pending recalls. I was told that the car doesn?t have any open recalls. I also passed the emissions. So far the CEL hasn?t come back(been 70 miles). However I just noticed that I only got about 240m per 3/4 tank(aint that rather low?). Based on what I?ve read I am guessing the maf needs replaced(my guess only) Is the air flow sensor same as MAF sensor? The squar?ish box before the air fiter. If both are the same do I buy that thing and remove the part and hook up the new part? is is that simple or any other steps involved? thanks,

"hyundaitech" wrote: > It's possible there's a recall that needs to be done on your > vehicle that > relates to the issue you're having. Call your local Hyundai > dealer with > your VIN and ask them to check for open recalls. If recall > 039 is open, > take the car in for the recall to be done. > > Dealers in Northern Virginia are Alexandria, Brown's > (Manassas), Fairfax, > and I believe another in Woodbridge whose name I cannot > recall. The > closest dealers across the bridge are Fitzgerald (Rockville) > and Pohanka > (Marlow Heights). > > If the recall has already been done, register for a free > account at >