2006 Sonata oil filter

In earlier posts, people were asking where to get oil filters for their Sonatas to avoid the high prices at the dealer. I yahooed and found several places that list multiple filters. For instance,

three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as OEM. The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is $5.17. Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet the requirements, shouldn't they? Tom

Reply to
Tom

lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as > OEM. The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is > $5.17. Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet > the requirements, shouldn't they?>

Thanks but these are for the 4 cyl. Sonata. That is a common filter.The oil filter we all need is for the 6 cyl. it takes a cartridge filter that I can only find at a dealer. Rob

Reply to
Rob

> lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as> > OEM. The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is> > $5.17. Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet> > the requirements, shouldn't they?> >

Same thing here. I googled and the only source I could find was the dealer. I paid about $10.50 for the filter, O rings and drain plug gasket including tax.

Reply to
Marc

> > lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as>> > OEM. The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is>> > $5.17. Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should >> > meet

I paid almost $20 for the same thing.

Reply to
Rob

lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as OEM.> The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is $5.17.> Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet the> requirements, shouldn't they?>

Reply to
krenkel

lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as OEM.> The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is $5.17.> Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet the> requirements, shouldn't they?>

Reply to
krenkel

lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as OEM. > The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is $5.17. > Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet the > requirements, shouldn't they? My inner redneck says we need a remote oil filter assembly for these cars pronto, or an adapter... Can't beat a good ol' $2.50 Motorcraft FL1A. I'll mention this to my friend, he specializes in these sorts of things... (aluminum/brass/copper/etc casting/finishing)

Plus, who wants to get their fingers all dirty, or have *that much* opportunity to introduce something abrasive to the 'clean' side of the oil filter housing? The world abandoned cartridge style filters for a reason...

Oh well, I'm sure its some environmental boob that came up with this. If you *really* want to deal with the problem figure out a profitable way to recycle cartridge filters - this would fix the problem with new and old cars alike.

Then again, theres a reason why anybody can buy R134A and its a serious pain in the arse (or a vacation to Mexico, which leads to the arse-pain) to get R12 - and it has very little to do with the ozone layer... :|

JS

Reply to
JS

Yea, you all are correct. I was talking about the 4 cylinder. When the dealer showed me the cartridge for the 6 cylinder, all I could think of was my 1954 Chevy that had a cartridge filter!!!!! Talk about a step backwards. Those were a pain in the arse, for sure. First thing you need is a cooking baster to get the oil out of the housing, I guess. What a messy job! Now I'm glad I have a 4 cylinder. You may beat me off the line (like I care), but I'll beat you out of the Oil Change Lane. :o)

Take care,

> lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as >> OEM. The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is >> $5.17. Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet >> the requirements, shouldn't they?>

Reply to
Tom

Actually, it all drains down as soon as you open the lid. No mess at all!

Now, as soon as Advance Auto gets their act together and starts selling the Purolator L35610, we'll start paying $4.00 a filter. You can get them to order it, but there's a $10.00 per filter shipping charge.

Reply to
Bob

"Tom" wrote in news:j7nng.99589$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

Tom, you couldn't be more wrong!! It is much easier, and faster, than crawling under the car, perhaps needing to squeeze in a filter wrench, having a mess of oil drip down on you, then getting the new filter, squeezing a bead of oil on the gasket, crawling back under and putting the filter on.

I bet it takes me half the time, with less than half of the muscle work.

And the canister completely drains when you pull the oil drain plug. Just remove the cartridge, put in a new one with two new O-rings, and screw on the cover. Done.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I'm with you, Tom. I'm very happy with the four-cylinder. We'll also save on spark plugs, plug wires, coils, etc. And I don't think the V-6 will beat me off the line. It might beat me after 30 MPH, but the 4 pulls pretty good off the line if I rev it enough! If you compare the performance numbers (I posted a link to them some time ago), the V-6 has a very minor performance advantage over the four. I'm guessing the extra weight it carries and different gearing probably account for most of it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Wow, that sounds great. Now I wish I had that setup!!! Maybe we did make some progress in the last 50 years! Unfortunately, my 54 Chevy got 20 miles per gallon and look how far we progressed in the area. :o( That old car weighed 3250 pounds, too. Sad Sad Sad.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yea, Matt, I'm happy with the performance side of my 4 banger. Actually,

162 horses out of a 4 is pretty darn good. No complaints so far except a sticking drivers side outside door handle that doesn't close all the way. They'll replace it at the next visit.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Matt Whiting wrote in news:Mlvng.1$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Bear in mind that those numbers were for the LX model as I recall. The GLS V6 is significantly lighter than the LX, but a bit heavier than the GL-4. With my traction control off, I have done a few 6.5 sec. 0-60 unofficial runs. While I agree that it would be close to 30 MPH, I would be ahead and pulling away. With that said, the 4 has my respect compared to other 4's of the same class.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"Tom" wrote in news:lcwng.31846$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

I have the same problem with my door handle. Guess I'll mention it on my next visit to the dealer. It didn't annoy me enough so far to think of it when I was there. But it does seem to be happening more often.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I dunno... Can you have 3 cylinders shut down and it keep running?

On the 2.7 you can ;)

Of course that only happens on the occasion a cam jumps time (ouch), or somebody forgets to plug the 'rear bank' of fuel injectors back in ;)

JS

Reply to
JS

I dunno, my 2.7 has

to it right now. Damned nice filter. I think you could smack it with a roofing hammer and not dent it.

JS

Tom wrote:

>> lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as >>> OEM. The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is >>> $5.17. Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet >>> the requirements, shouldn't they?>> My inner redneck says we need a remote oil filter assembly for these cars >> pronto, or an adapter... Can't beat a good ol' $2.50 Motorcraft FL1A. >> I'll mention this to my friend, he specializes in these sorts of things... >> (aluminum/brass/copper/etc casting/finishing)>>

Reply to
JS

If new cars were allowed to pollute like your 54 Chevy and had its same performance, then they'd get way more than 20 MPG for the same weight car.

We've progressed a long way in the last 50 years. My 4 cylinder Sonata outperforms most of the cars made in the 50s regardless of engine size and gets 31 MPG.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I just got back from my first trip of any length with my Sonata and was disappointed in the mileage. I got 30.8 on the outbound leg (200 miles) which is basically what I've been getting commuting to work. This was on good two-lane roads (routes 6 and 66 in Western PA), however, we did get caught in a couple of construction zones and spent a fair number of miles driving around Grove City so that may have offset the highway mileage. The car seemed to do real well on the way back, but I haven't filled it up to check yet. I made the trip back (190 miles) and the gauge was right on the 3/4 tank mark. I typically get 140-150 before it hits this point so I think the mileage on the highway was pretty good. However, I'll drive it to work this week before filling it again so that will bring the average down a little. Still need a good long highway trip to get a good test.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

That wasn't my recollection, but unfortunately the web site now has the

07 models. The big difference was the V-6 vs. the 4, not the trip levels. Even the automatic trans doesn't add that much weight, it was the engine and the heavier suspension required to support it that appears to be the big difference. Even for the 07 models the Limited (which appears to be the successor to the LX) and the SE (appears to be similar to the former GXL-V6) have identical weights. The GLS (successor to the GL) weighs more than 200 lbs less than the SE and Limited with the standard transmission and just under 200 lbs less with the automatic. 200 lbs makes a difference on a car that weighs less than 3500 lbs.

The standard shift tranny also has a slightly lower final drive ratio than the 5 speed automatic (althought it is higher than the 4 speed auto if the web site is correct - but this doesn't seem right so I'm wondering if they made a typo). However, not knowing the 1st gear ratios I don't know if the overall ratio is less or more for the 4 cylinder. I'm guessing it is a fair bit lower given the relatively minor performance difference from the 50% more torque in the V-6. I suspect that much of that torque advantage is lost in the gearing.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting