Are the Koreans riding too high?

here's an article I found, and other related Hyundai "news"

Are the Koreans riding too high? Automotive columnist Jerry Flint has an interesting look at some of the problems that could hurt Hyundai and Kia in the coming years. "The Koreans are terribly ambitious and terribly aggressive, and in the past, they have been hurt by such tactics," writes Flint. "A few years ago, the industry in Korea expanded too rapidly; Daewoo went bankrupt and was taken over by GM. Renault grabbed Samsung's failed effort at expanding into car manufacturing. And Hyundai rescued Kia by taking a big stake in that company at a time when Hyundai itself was in serious trouble." Flint also points to how Hyundai tossed U.S. boss Robert Cosmai and Kia bounced its U.S. president Peter Butterfield despite both companies having good years. "My guess is that the home office sets impossible goals, and no matter how good the results, if people don't reach these goals, they are punished. Setting high goals is great, but this kind of instability eventually causes an organization to become dysfunctional."

Reply to
news

Hyundai is very serious about being one of the top 5 auto manufacturers in the world. They believe that if they don't accomplish that in the next 5 years that someone else may own them.

Reply to
hyundaitech

(IMO) I think its as a competitive auto market as its ever been in the history of auto manufacturing. GM facing huge losses (no loss to me, but sorry for the auto workers; as no fault to them) If Hyundai continues what they've been doing, I see them continually gaining market share. I was amazed at their new azera and sonata. I have been thinking about the Tucson for the next year or so... (BUT my sonata keeps on rockin' :) I wish they had plans for a RWD model here in the Americas, as it seems to be making somewhat of a comeback.

Reply to
news-1

It's my understanding that the next Tiburon redesign will be RWD.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
nothermark

I wish the Azera were RWD, but the Tiburon would also benefit tremendously from RWD. In fact, I was hoping to see the Tib go to AWD.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

AWD would make sense. Front drive makes sense. Rear drive on a car that size will be unblanced with too much weight on the front, non drive, wheels. OTOH and rear drive on a large sedan would makes sense if they want to give it a tow spec.

Reply to
nothermark

maybe and maybe not. the rise of FWD "sports" (sporty) cars are rising. the Tiburon could conceivably compete with quite a bit of other RWD cars out there...(dare I say the 'stang, charger, that small roadster beamer x3 something.. maybe....) IMO-Id never buy a FWD sports/sporty car EVER. I'm old school and RWD is what I've always driven . My Sonata is my first FWD car, still love it though..:)

Reply to
news

Reply to
Jody

Or make it possible for it to become a true sports car.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

yes indeed, well engineered and designed can make it more balanced 50/50 (or somewhere close to that....) and can be possibly be considered a True Sports Car.

Reply to
news

you just have to learn how to handle the FWD. It takes different techniques.

Reply to
nothermark