DRL confusion 2017 Elantra

I have a 2017 Elantra with automatic lights (which I don't use). I am confused about exactly when my DRL lights "are" on and when they "should" be on. Any info on this?

Reply to
jtees4

They should be on all the time. They help you be seen under certain conditions even on sunny days.

Why not use the automatic lights? There are a lot of morons that don't put the lights on when the should and the auto lights make it easy that you won't forget. They work well.

I just wish they would come on when you turn the wipers on. Most states require lights to be on when wipers are on. They should also be on a half hour after sunrise and a half hour before sunset.

My cars have had aoutomatic lights for the past 20 years. Very rare I have to override for any reason and never burned out a headlight.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had a chance to test them yesterday, with my wife watching the front of the car. In the "off" position (it actually says drl and off together)....there are NO lights on inclding the drl lights. Car was running and in gear by the way. In "auto" only the drl were on, which makes sense because it was a sunny day. In every other position the drl were on, but dimmer than in the auto position. So that's what is actually going on. I am glad the drl can be turned off, I hate things that are always on. And since I have "auto" I can use them that way if I want....just an old guy still not used to "new" things. I have auto wipers too, but that's my next issue to tackle ;-) PS: The manual says the drl will be off when the headlights are on, which is not the case unless my wife is wrong (she said they dimmed)....but she has certainly been wrong before...so I'll have to check that out myself.

Reply to
jtees4

I have to check, but the DRL may be going off but a "running light" is still on with headlights.

You may be getting on in yers (I'll be 72 next month) but don't fear new conveniences. The auto headlights do a nice job. I still see drivers, yound and old, that don't put lights on when needed. Let the auto feature do it for you and save a potential problem.

The auto wipers can be nice too. One day I was driving on a two lane and it stopped raining. The wipers were still on and a truck in the opposite direction kicked up a big splash of water that blinded me. Before I could react, the sensor made the wiper start and cleared the windshield.

Embrace the technology and let it work for you. My Genesis has all sorts of goodies and I like and use every one of them. Makes long trips easier.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The running lights are there to help other cars coming towards you to see y ou during low light conditions or when it's raining. Ideally, you should tu rn on your headlights under those conditions so people behind can see you e asier too but chances are most people won't be doing that anytime soon. Wit h the advent of self-driving cars, we won't need any lights because there w on't be any accidents. Your troubles will soon be over. :)

Reply to
dsi1

My issue with the technology came from an accident I had due to anti lock brakes on my 07 Elantra SE. It was a slow motion accident, so no injuries or anything. Super icy, I mean pure ice day....accidents everywhere. Could hardly get the car to go, let alone stop. I could have turned the car and managed the brakes a bit, but when the anti lock kicked in the car would not turn or slow or stop. It was a bad day, so many accidents the cops couldn't even come. I might still have had the accident but I know I could have done a little bit better without the brakes taking over like that. By the same token, the lights turning off automatically (I think all my Hyundais starting with 03 had that feature)...has saved my car battery many times...so YES technology can be good. I can see the advantage to the auto lights and wipers in certain situation....and I'll get there. I'm just slow to change.

Reply to
jtees4

All our troubles will be over LOL.

Reply to
jtees4

If the ice is really slippery, no type of brake will work ABS is great in some circumstances but ice is as nasty as it gets. I learned a long time ago to stay home with ice. Cost me equivalent of a weeks pay to get to work one morning.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I do agree, but years ago I learned a few techniques from a professional driver that really work. Don't get me wrong....I can't stop a car dead on ice, but I did learn a way to be able to turn at least a little. If I could have steered at all I could have avoided my collision.

Reply to
jtees4

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 14:38:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Regular brakes lock up the wheel and turn them into skis. I don't see how that would have helped you steer on ice. The ABS keeps the wheel from locking and you can usually maintain some steering.

I have no idea how slippery the ice was so I'm not going to try to say what could or could not work but I do know that ice is nasty. Twice I was in situations where it rained on a freezing day. I remember sitting at the top of a hill for a half hour until a sand truck came by. I could see the result of those that chose to go ahead.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

e you during low light conditions or when it's raining. Ideally, you should turn on your headlights under those conditions so people behind can see yo u easier too but chances are most people won't be doing that anytime soon. With the advent of self-driving cars, we won't need any lights because ther e won't be any accidents. Your troubles will soon be over. :)

You will no longer have to worry about DRLs and ABS. Happy days are here ag ain.

Reply to
dsi1

Yes, all ice is not created equal. The day of my problem was serious ice. forget not being able to stop, I couldn't get the car to go....it took me a full block to get to the stop sign in question....by the time I reached it I was going probably 5 miles an hour. Never ever been on ice like that....just a freak thing. Other driver was in the same boat as me. No cops because they were all out on accidents, probably some serious ones too. Cop came to my house 4 or 5 hours later. You're correct that non locking brakes might not have helped, but the anti lock brakes certainly didn't help. Oh well. I do think the anti lock brakes feel different on my newer cars, maybe they changed something in how they work.....hopefully I'll never need to find out.

Reply to
jtees4

I got a question. If you didn't have enough traction to start moving, why would you want to be in motion? Under such conditions, wouldn't it be safer to not be moving? What was your plan on how things were going to work out? I don't get it.

Reply to
dsi1

I thoughet of that too, but twice i was already out and got caught in a quick frezing rain. One morning I was going to pick up a co-worker and we were going to the airport. It was dry when I left my house but a mile away it started to rain and I was on ice. I managed to creep along and two miles later I was back on dry ground. We missed out flight and ended up at our destination 12 hours late.

Long story short were were delayed in Atlanta going down and the trip back 3 days later I was 24 hours late getting home. Travel in January is risky.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Getting caught on ice is one thing, starting off on ice seems to be the height of optimism.

Reply to
dsi1

To get home. I was a block and a half from home. While it was terrible out, some spots were OK. Not near my house unfortunately.

Reply to
jtees4

I was coming home from work and rurned onto the street in question. Once on that street I had to get started or would end up with a car not moving in the street....not really an option. I did get it going (very slowly). When I reached the corner with the stop sign, it got much worse there....as both me and the other driver found out. We were both blindsided by just how bad that corner was. If I could do it over I would probably stay home, unfortunately there are no second chances in life.

Reply to
jtees4

That sucks. You never think about getting into trouble near you home. It is not fr to walk, but good chance I'd have done the same thing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're right that you cannot go back in time. The real question is what will you do the next time you're in the same situation.

Reply to
dsi1