Have you caught any flack about buying non-american car(s) ???

I used to , but now there are such an enormous amount of foreign cars on American roads , it has dissipated. Obviously, consumer confidence has waned toward American Car Manufacturers which is the reason for GM's current woes. Can u blame the average American for wanting a product that is highly reliable, has an extraordinary warranty, looks great, and is affordable ?

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) scribbled:

Heh. Funny story. Next door neighbor (not there anymore) was a big foreign- basher. Especially when I came home with my Mitsu Eclipse. He was only slightly steamed when I told him it was assembled in Illinois, but he really blew a gasket when he found out his "American GM truck" was from Canada!! Shut him up right away! :-)

Reply to
Don P.

I've noticed with some circles of people (like the guys at the local farmer supply) my Santa Fe is frowned upon. Not sure if its foreign-hate, or they think its a high-dollar mommy-taxi (Lexus low-end-RX, etc)... For these folks I find my well-beaten 99 Dodge halfton (an unreliable, gas-guzzling heap of gutless junk) works well.

JS

Reply to
JS

Would you put an old engine inthe back of your Santa Fe? How about bags of Feed? How much will it tow? The point is don't knock their pickups, they suite what they do, your Santa Fe wouldn't.

Stock answer for anyone complaining about my Hyundai is "who built yor electronics gear?" I used to be a well paid electronics tech before they shipped most of the jobs out of the country.

Reply to
nothermark

Ironically, I put the Dodge's junkyard (out of a 21k flood-damaged truck) replacement NV3500 in the back of the 03 when it was almost brand new. Used an old rubber-back outdoor rug to control the potential mess, strapped it down tight, no problem for the 140 mile journey home. Of course, its only 110# empty - people have dogs heavier than that.

Personally I prefer trailers and dolleys/forklifts for moving stuff of any serious weight. The truck is convenient for some things (ladders, light-duty tower sections, riding-in-the-back-of-the-truck wireless coverage testing) but its rather useless/dangerous/inefficient for anything else. SUV+Trailer offers a stable towing platform and a useful comfortable vehicle once you're disconnected.

Of course, towing is a drag... At least when one's not towing, they have half a chance of getting decent fuel economy, whereas the half ton truck never has a prayer.

In my case... I'm tapping on a Quanta (Chinese?) built "Dell" laptop... The cellphone on my desk is a Samsung (South Korean) CDMA phone. The Dodge is Mexican, the Hyundais are South Korean ;)

JS

Reply to
JS

I used to give people flack about buying foreign cars until I bought one.

- Mooron

Reply to
Mooron

I still prefer American. I would like nothing better than to buy my next car from a pure American name plate. Unfortunately, they need to win me back as a customer. The Ford Fusion and clones are a step in the right direction. Too bad it's not quite good enough, and is assembled in Mexico, which I consider a hostile nation.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Yeah I caught a little flack from relatives and friends for buying my XG350L, But when I explained to them that I really wanted a new Chrysler 300 C and when I looked around and priced what I wanted it was gonna cost me almost $43K !!!!!! I looked at the Hyundai XG350L and found more than was even offered on the Chrysler as STANDARD equipment, I was almost sold, I then drove the XG and was sold, drove one home 2 hours later and for $21K LESS than the 300C !!!!!I realize that its almost 150 HP less and its only a

6 cylinder instead of an 8... But I am extreamely happy that I did it and have not looked back or doubted my decision one time in a year. My local gas station is mad at me at my insureance man is mad but HEY who cares and besides theres other gas sations and other insureance companys just like in the end there was another car dealer. Will be looking forward to a real fullsize luxury car from Hyundai and I mean Bigger and nicer than the XG350 or the Azera.

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

theres much conflict before ppl thought about not buying NON AMERICAN cars...

not ppl think about not buying AMERICAN cars...

and now pe> Yeah I caught a little flack from relatives and friends for buying my

Reply to
Chinacarforums

I used to get some guff from relatives and some friends who've been kinda brainwashed into the all-things-foreign made are bad. Never mind their SONY TVs, or Samsung LCD computer monitors. They'll be looking for their next car while mine is still under warranty.

Fact is, the ratio of "basic" useful things still made in a America is pretty high but a lot of the major consumer goods are from outside the US, or made by non-US entities IN the US. My cousin, who's a Union sparky, likes his Ford F-150 pick-up. That's fine and well. He's the stereotypical "won't buy it unless it's totally made in America / support the American economy" argument type but he's left to ponder what it means when I tell him my Hyundai was made in Alabama or Georgia. Does it mean it's still "foreign" if it's made here? If my wife and I gave birth in a Japanese hospital while on vacation would my child still be American (nope, sorry, Japanese National)?

What I personally feel is if the quality of so-called American made cars had the same warranties as my Hyundai and could match price points---even by a $1,000---, have the same features, etc., I would probably be inclined to buy one. But if US car companies can't compete that way, they'll need a new strategy and quick. There's no such thing as a 100% totally American made car as many components and parts come from outside the US. The only things American about "American" cars are usually their drivers. Just my 2 cents.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

'What I personally feel is if the quality of so-called American made cars had the same warranties as my Hyundai and could match price points---even by a $1,000---, have the same features, etc., I would probably be inclined to buy one. But if US car companies can't compete that way, they'll need a new strategy and quick'

REPLY: I completely agree with you. Its up to American Car Makers to now win-back the Consumer ; but its not going to be easy if it happens at all.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa