Hyundai Tech "Question about 2006 Tiburon vs 2004 Elantra"

Does the 2006 Tiburon use the exact same passenger OCS airbag system as the

2004/2005 Elantra? If not has anyone reported any issues with the car other then the recall on the steering colum I saw on NHTSA?
Reply to
Timothy A. Roy

I guarantee it's not exactly the same. But realistically, it probably operates very similarly.

We've had some Elantra customers complain that the "Passenger Air Bag Off" telltale on the dash won't turn off, even when a passenger is in the seat. We've never been able to duplicate one of these conditions and no customer has ever been able to show us the condition occurring, to my knowledge.

The GT suspension on the Tiburon seems to have issues with pounding the bushings to the point they wear and make noise over washboard type pavement. Other than that, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that's specific to this car.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Does the 2006 tiburon use the OCS to detect an adult and deploy the airbag accordingly? Does it have the passenger airbag light also?

Or is there another sistem that outright deploy the airbags if there is a collision and the seatbelts are engageded?

Reply to
Timothy A. Roy

Looking for more excuses to sue Hyundai, Tim? If so, GET LOST!

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

There's no question it monitors whether the seat belt is buckled. I haven't seen a 2006 in person. I assumed by your question previously it had some sort of occupant classification system, but I don't know that it does. The air bag system will not conclude someone isn't in the seat just because someone isn't buckled. It does use that information in determining whether to deploy the air bag. In fact, it's more likely it will deploy the air bag if the belt is unbuckled. I recently worked on a Tiburon that (if I recall correctly) fired the driver bag but not the passenger because the passenger seat belt was buckled and the driver seat belt was unbuckled, so the system felt it necessary to deploy the air bag to protect an unbelted driver. If you want to know, check out a car in person. If it has the passenger air bag telltale, it definitely has an occupant classification system.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Timothy A. Roy

Perhaps I mistook you for a jerk that pops up here periodically to promote his class-action lawsuit site. If that's not you, I apologize.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom