Passinger Air Bag

My wife is around 105 lbs and most of the time the airbag won't activate.I asked the Hyundai srevice department about it and they say it's working properly.I wanted it adjusted so the lite would go out when my wife sits in the passinger seat,they said they coulden't do it.I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra and it will be the last one I own. If I should have a accident and the bag didn't work I wonder if Hyundai would take care of any damage to my wife.

Bill

Reply to
bgbrow2

There is a reason behind all of this. If she is not heavy enough to turn the bag on, she would possibly be injured by the bag itself if it did go off causing more injury than otherwise. This is the same logic that states children under a certain size should ride in the back seat to avoid airbag injury.

It is probably illegal for the dealer to change settings on the mechanism.

Do some research before you get pissed off for the wrong reason. You may be putting your wife at risk if you make the changes. Since you state "most of the time" I'm guessing she is right on the edge and the normal weight fluctuation may make the difference. Have her chug a six pack before you drive off.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I bought my 2006 Sonata, the passenger airbag light would go off (and my wife is bigger) and the dealer said they COULD reprogram the computer to adjust the light. There was a TSB on that, so they said.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Checking hmaservice.com I found a description on the Occupant Classification System. I could not find any TSB on programming the SRS. : The system is intended to classify the occupancy status of the front passenger seat in a motor vehicle based on the measured force on the bottom seat cushion. The system also communicates to the SRSCM whether to allow or inhibit the deployment of the passenger airbags and/or pretensioner based upon this status. The System also measures dynamic responses of the occupant. This information is used to idenitify when a child seat is cinched down tightly with the seat belt, and to also determine if the seat is unoccupied. However, the dynamic measurements are not intended, nor capable of monitoring the seating position of the occupant, nor can they determine the proximity of the occupant to the inflator modules. The system should not be confused with an occupant position recognition system, or any other occupant proximity sensor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski