Rear Seat Problem - 2002 Santa Fe

Don't have a fix for you but I can tell you we had the same problem with our

2002 Santa Fe. It was on the driver's side.

Jim

Reply to
jim

Jim, I may have solved the problem. I did some exploratory surgery yesterday evening and it's working good now.

I removed the driver's side rear seat (found the instructions on the HMA site). It's just four big bolts and the entire unit can be pulled through the door. The HMA site indicated six small screws securing the plastic pan to the seat frame needed to be removed but that might be optional.

Anyway, with the seat out I removed the plastic cover panels on both sides of the seat (the outboard panel has the adjustment lever) and then just removed the springs, cleaned the teeth on the gear with a small wire brush, lubricated the sliding mechanism with WD-40, and put it all back together.

My guess is the crud in the gear teeth was keeping the locking mechanism from fully engaging.

Good Luck with yours, Greg

Reply to
Greg

Good stuff Greg. One suggestion though, in case you have to do this again - do not use WD40 as a lubricant. It's not a lubricant. It has no lasting properties that lubricate once it evaporates. Use a white lithium grease or the likes.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for that info Greg. I attempted to correct the problem but did not find the info you found. Took some of it apart and then decided to put it back together so I wouldn't tear things up.

Seldom had anyone in the back seat and just warned those entering.

Traded the 02 off for an 07 two years ago this month. (You didn't buy that used in Daytona Beach did you?)

Great info tho.

Jim

Reply to
jim

Seen a few. Fixed by replacing the recliner mechanisms (two on each seat). Typically, the gears were stripped.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Jim,

No - our '02 was bought new. It's been handed-over to our youngest who will be using it to do his high-school thing. Funny how it's easier to experiment on a car that's no longer your primary mode of transportation.

We've been well pleased with the Santa Fe - it looks like you thought enough of them to buy a second one yourself. Even when I tinker with ours I come away pretty impressed with the build quality.

Mike had a good point about the right way to lubricate my seat fix. I probably needed more of a solvent than a lubricant given the slop in the locking mechanism, and the WD-40 will probably attrack more gunk. Maybe brake cleaner or electronic parts cleaner would be the best choice.

Take care and happy runnings with your '07.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Actually the tradein was for my wife. She has that 07. That was in July 06. I bought one for me in Sept 07 so we now have two.

So yeah, we emjoy the Santa Fe's.

I agree with your assessment that it is easier when the vehicle is no longer your primary mode of transportation.

Take Care,

Reply to
Jim White

Our 2002 Santa Fe's rear seat recline mechanism no longer locks the seat back firmly in position. This is the mechanism that allows you to lay the seat all the way down or lock the seat back at a few different angles.

It acts like the gears are stripped or something - if you lean against the seat back it reclines on its own. Anyone else seen or better yet fixed this problem?

Cheers, Greg

Reply to
Greg