89 Trooper 4WD question

I had to pull the rear driveshaft out of my 89 trooper to get it worked on. Then, to mvoe it from the driveway to the garage, I put it in 4-HI, locked the front hubs, and drove it normally. So, here's my question:

Any reason why this wouldn't work permanently? Not that I want to do it, but the drivetrain on the 89s is completely mechanical, and mine has manual hubs to boot.

I understand that I'd have to make sure dirt didn't get into the rear differential and all that. The front half of the driveshaft is still in, so the seal against the tranny is good.

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

It works permanently. My rear end is broken and i'm driving in 4 hi for weeks now on tarmac. My new rear axles arrives at the end of the month. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Erik-Jan Geniets

I read of a guy that shattered a U-joint while 4 wheeling and drove home from Moab with just the front wheels. He removed one of the drive shafts, leaving the yoke in place to seal the tranny (or differential, as case may be).

I recall he commented that it torque steered like mad... hard to keep it pointed straight at highway speeds. It was not designed for driving this way, so it is not compensated in design or steering geometry.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Driving like this at this moment. Something broken in the rear diff. No problem at all. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets