'04 ZJ opinions/experience

Thinking about a low mileage(21K) 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Selectrac. Has DC fixed many of the problems common to late '90s ZJs I.e. leaks, axle problems, trans problems, or have there been new ones? I did notice different trans cooler line fittings, an external fuel filter(fuel pump??), and larger front brake calibers. The old 4 link rear suspension with track bar has been replaced by a triangular upper link attached to the top of the differential - is this an improvement or just a way to lower cost? Have there been any major recalls on these? An '03 would also be an option, were they better or worse than the '04's?

Thanx :)

Reply to
Al J

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

WJs off-road

billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks, that would explain why a search for '04 ZJ problems' turned up very little. We use our '97 ZJ for light duty towing, both boats and snowmobiles and rarely go farther offroad than an occasional fireroad or out on a frozen lake. I just don't care for all the changes on the new ones and the Liberty just seems too cramped and I rarely see one pass me at 70+. Our '97 ZJ has 75K miles on it, is 10 years old and an '04 WJ seems like a good last chance.

The revised rear upper c> The nomenclature for an 2004 Grand Cherokee is WJ. And as far as I

Reply to
Al J

Weight load is still on the axle tubes, the links only serve to locate the axles, the load is taken by the springs.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo