1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I wrote in a few weeks back about my Wagoneer backfiring and the dying on the way back from NH. Thankfully your advice was right. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the disributer and plugs and got it going. I had some one else set the timing and replace the muffler (previous owner removed the catalytic converter so I had it replaced). Now the issues are 1) the idle starts out very high and won't kick down when the engine warms, the suddenly drops very low and engine idle will surge then ebb. 2) high pitched whining sound which seems to be coming from below the air pump, possibly the fuel pump?. 3) choke themostat should be replaced but not sure what would cause idle to race when choke is fully opened. Any ideas?

Reply to
jimmy3stix

Sounds like the high speed and curb idle settings need adjustment, and possibly the fast idle cam linkage that connects to the choke.

The first thing I would do when the engine dies out is look to see if the idle speed screw on the throttle cable side of the carb is touching the throttle lever. If it isn't either the screw is backed out way too far, or the fast idle speed screw is still controlling the idle speed.

My guess is that what's happing is that the fast idle linkage is out of adjustment, and eventually the fast idle screw loses contact with the fast idle cam, and that is when your engine dies out, even though it sounds like it is staying on the fast idle cam longer than it should.

Turn the curb idle screw in 1/2 turn or so and back the fast idle screw out several turns for now, just to get the curb idle screw in contact with the throttle linkage. Start the engine and warm it up, then set the idle speed and mixture properly. your carb kit instructions or your owners manual should have the specs for setting the idle and fast idle speeds, but you may have to tweak the fast idle speed somewhat. Every engine likes it a little different, and climate is a factor also.

After the curb idle speed is straightened out, then set the fast idle speed. This is normally done with the engine warm, and the choke open, but you will have to manually move the fast idle cam linkage to get the fast idle screw on to the cam. the manual or instructions should tell you which step to set the fast idle speed on. Before you do the fast idle speed though, I would double check the linkage adjustment per the carb rebuild kit instructions. It sounds like there is a problem there.

Chris