4x6" Speaker vs. 5.25"

I'm looking at speakers to upgrade my 2000 TJ's sound and went by a stereo shop today and the guy at the shop said that a 4x6" speaker won't make much of a difference, compared to that of a 5.25". Is this true? Won't having an oval shape distort the sound in comparison to a round speaker?

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Weber

Maybe. Will you hear the difference, especially in a TJ? I doubt it. When I swapped the 4x6's in my TJ, I noticed how much of the speaker is firing into the back of the dash - i.e. the grill opening in the dash is only about 2-3" wide, plus there's a foam "baffle" that's in there. I've seen some writeups on the 5.25 conversions and from what I've seen, all you end up with is more speaker obscured by the dash. Hardly seems worth it IMO. Probably 90% of the sound you hear is coming from the soundbar (assuming you've got one) anyway. The dash speakers, which are aimed pretty much at your knees, are just fill. YMMV

-Ed

Reply to
Ed J.

The quality of the speaker has much more to do with the sound than the geometry. However, all other things being equal a round speaker will reproduce sound more accuratly than an oval one. It's unlikely that you could ever notice any difference in a vehicle as noisy as a Jeep.

Magnet size, c> I'm looking at speakers to upgrade my 2000 TJ's sound and went by a stereo

Reply to
Tim Hayes

No, not just because it is oval... which says nothing since the speaker itself is what matters. Bower & Wilkins and Bozak have had very highly thought of home audio speakers... and there are others with truly wierd shapes.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Ummm, bogosity in the utmost. Round speakers are simply cheaper to manufacture and mount for any given price point.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Oval speakers were introduced such that the speakers could be a reasonable size, yet still fit into the relatively small spaces found in cars.. unless your Jeep is completely sound deadened (the equivalent household task to this would be nailing Jello to the ceiling), you will not notice any difference..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Do you mean that the sound will be narrow on the ends?

I have never heard (no pun intended) of that before. I wouldl think the over riding issue would be that they fit in the holes that are available, or if yo uhad to buy new holes for them to fit into. You are not driving around in a concert hall, just get better speakers that fit into the holes you already have.

Reply to
CRWLR