97 Wrangler TJ heat not working

Just had a snowstorm and my heat took about 30 minutes to get luke warm. It has not been working great for about a year now. It seems to get warm, then cold in cycles. Any ideasThermostat? I can smell a little anti-freeze at times when the heat is on.

Reply to
bspear78

One of the guys in our club had similar issues.

He replaced the thermostat ( usually a good direction to look first) and it did not help. He finally, after MUCH head banging and wrench throwing the problem ended up being his water pump. The impellers were - well - essentially GONE. It was not pushing enough water to send it through the heater core.

Hope this is of some help to you.

K.

06 Rubi, with some chrome plated flammywhammers zip tied to it.
Reply to
Kate

Were this mine, I'd:

  1. Replace the thermostat.
  2. Flush (carefully, don't use one of those silly power flushers--they will damage marginal heater cores) the cooling system.
  3. Fill with new coolant.
Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
man of machines

Providing the heater core isn't corroded. The smell of antifreeze can come from the hoses and trickle down into the vehicle, or be carried into the vent. Every now and then I can catch a whiff from the overflow bottle.

Could also be your Thermostat is broken or stuck open.

Reply to
DougW