Any ideas?

99 Cherokee Sport LMD 75K Miles

My jeep has developed a VERY annouying condition...a loud, chirping and sqeaqing from the rear (suspension?). It is worse during right hand curves and turns, not so bad going straight. Sometimes even quiet going straight.

I have 4 inch rear shackels, but they are well oiled and greased. I oiled both ends of the leaf springs, no help. Shocks are original, but don't appear to be rubbing anywhere.

The noise is coming equally from both sides, towards the rear. I really thought the shackels were to blame, but I oiled and greased every aspect of them to no avail.

Noise is getting loud enough to make it difficult to carry on a conversation when curving or turning to the right.

Has anyone had this before and figured it out?

THANKS!

Reply to
Football God

If you have a slip yoke on the driveshaft, I would be greasing that.

Mike

Football God wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You might also look for any rocks lodged somewhere back there. I had that happen....

Reply to
Fred Garvin

On my '95 ZJ I found that the speaker wire had worn through for the right rear door. The odd part was that it happened a good foot into the pillar rather than near the grommet/boot, still haven't figured out what caused it. I would check my speaker wires and see if they are gounded out.

Oh, and not that I want to start an argument with previous posters or get off topic, but I have an Alpine Head Unit and it is the only brand I have seen stand up to the abuse I put it through. My brother went through 4 sonys in 2 years, I went through a sony (1 year) and a kenwood(3 years), now I've had my alpine for 3+ years. I have to admit it does have an overheating problem on 100deg+ days, but the ZJ dash doesn't allow for any airflow, so thats the most likely cause.

-Don

Reply to
Don