Help, paint peeling off!

I've searched this group on Google but can't find any relevant posts so please help a newbie.
I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee and several years back I began to see
small blisters in the paint which eventually became bare spots. Now I've got large areas on the hood, roof, upper doors, etc. that are completely bare and more is beginning to come off.
I've already got estimates on repainting but here's the question:
Does Jeep have any hidden warranties on this? I know the problem isn't unknown, will they do anything about it?
I did write them but they refused due to age and mileage but... 10 years isn't asking much of a paint job nor is 80,000 miles*.
Any ideas? I can't believe this isn't a factory defect...
*For comparison, my 1992 Mazda Miata has 137,000 miles and the paint (same white as the Jeep) is original and almost perfect.
Add pictures here
✖
Is it blue?
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
XS11E wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Hi Mike, And any of the silver grays, separate from their primers. Some look like the top clear coat separated, but there is no separate clear coat on any factory paint. On my '84 and '89 Fords that had to sit in the sun, a repaint stop the problem. Same problem with GM paints, and I've never hear of the factory eating any of it! God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Mike Romain wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
From my '02 Superduty factory window sticker..."Exterior: Dark Shadow Gray Clearcoat"
but there is no separate clear coat

Add pictures here
✖
Yup, as were my Thunderbirds. I was just repeating what the factory Rep told me, (when trying to get Ford to eat some of my UV damage) that these colors were like a candy paint, and the clear comes to the surface. I realize the typical shop will shot it again, in covering up their f**k ups. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Wow. My `89 Cherokee's blue paint sunburned and peeled too. You'd think tht they'd have worked out the problems by the `90s.
Come to think of it, my `96 Cherokee's black paint is showing white primer on the driver's door and on the roof near the aft end of the roof rack rails.
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Mike Romain wrote:

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.
Add pictures here
✖

White.
Add pictures here
✖
only blistered paint on my 93 XJ has rust behind them..
Snow...

Add pictures here
✖
The paint peels because the bodies have a "E Coat" to keep them from rusting without a primer. Cost accounting engineers desided to help defrey the cost of the e coat by leaving off the primer. The e coat is hard and non porous so the paint won't stick without primer. I got this information from a paint engineer for PPG while repairing his PC. As far as a recourse from the car makers, I saw a news program a long while back and basically the auto makers were claiming the cars were too old or too many miles and denying claims. As for colors, it seems to me that white chevy trucks are the worst.
JoBo

Add pictures here
✖

That's just about what they told me.
Add pictures here
✖
XS11E, If you get a phone number from someone who has a newer product call the number in the back of the owners manual - look for the Customer Relations. It will probably be neceesary to find the particular department who handles such claims. More than one call will be necessary. You will have to be persistant (ie: a pain in the azz) till someone finally gives in. At the same time, take the vehicle to a stealership body shop and get the lowdown from those guys. The bodyshop guys may tell you of any specific problems with that year or model (and maybe even who to contact). Work both ends against the middle. I know of a few people who have gotten new paint jobs from Chrysler - the entire car - but niether were as old as yours, but close. The number I have in my 1997 owners manual is (800) 465 - 2001. I will check with my buddy to see if he recalls how he got his repainted but his memmory isn't so good unless it involves a dame. Good Luck, Steve XS11E wrote:

long
were
Add pictures here
✖