OT: GROUND STRAPS AND HOW IMPORTANT THEY ARE

There are many posts regarding good engine/body grounds and I was reminded of something that happened years ago when I left a XMAS party with my date. We headed out to my 1972 (or so) Pontiac Firebird and once settled I found the auto console shifter in drive, my date had hit it when getting out. As I tried to shift it into park, or neutral, to start the engine, I found it frozen. The console stick shifted the tranny via a steel cable and it was now the ground of the engine and welded tight. Later I found the engine ground strap was bad so another ground was developed, my shifter cable.

To start the car I bypassed the neutral safety switch (from underneath the car - it was snowing) and started it in drive. Mind you it was snowing heavy. Out of the parking lot was a hill you had to climb to get to the main road and everybody was getting stuck and had to back down several time and try it again. I had only one shot at the hill. The firebird had a 455 CU in it and I lit it up and made the hill on the first time and all the way home without ever shifting. I remember thanking her for bumping the shifter when she got out. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get the tranny in drive.

I had to replace the ground strap and the tranny shifter cable. My date? She is my wife now and we still try and make the hills in one try, now with our Jeep. Oh, I did get lucky that night!

Andy

Reply to
Andy