Poking Starter w/Metal Stick?

'96 Grand Cherokee Loredo. Seemed like my battery was dead despite having full electronic power....car would not turn over.....called AAA. Tested battery, seemed fine....the guy told me to turn over the car while he took a stab, are sharp punch at the starter with a metal stick (1" narrow pipe of 4' or so). Car started right up.

He said I have a "dead spot" in my starter...and it's likely to go anytime? I imagine that's true. Just thought I'd share this with others....had no idea of this trick.

He told me to do this, it has to be "metal on metal"? metal stick poking the starter. Anyone know on a technical level what's really at work here?....

Thanks

Lance

Reply to
Lanceandrew

That is just telling you it is time to clean up all the main battery cables. Or the starter solenoid is dead.

If the solenoid connections are either dirty or the solenoid itself is internally worn out, jumping it with a big screw driver or piece of metal will turn it over.

This indicates good internal starter parts, just an issue with the power getting to them.

If he had of whacked it with a hammer and it went, that would indicate a 'dead spot' inside the starter on the brushes.

Mike

Lanceandrew wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I just read that again, though I saw a 4" pipe, not 4', but had both takes. Metal on metal is jumping the solenoid connection, banging is a brush.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain