TJ Seat belt stuck

'99 TJ Sport 6cyl

The passenger seatbelt is stuck. I have no idea what caused it - no intense offroading, daily driving, etc ...then one day my dad got in and it wouldn't unwind so he could put it on. I've tried a dust-cleaner compressed air in case a rock or something was lodged. I'm guessing the pendulum is stuck but how do I fix this?

Thanks!

Reply to
griffin

Tear the cover off of it, unbolt it and get a good look at it. There may be something like a twist in the belt holding it back. Sometimes my hubby's truck does that, makes me nuts.

While you have it apart, give it a good cleaning and a little lube. Couldn't hurt.

Kate

The passenger seatbelt is stuck. I have no idea what caused it - no intense offroading, daily driving, etc ...then one day my dad got in and it wouldn't unwind so he could put it on. I've tried a dust-cleaner compressed air in case a rock or something was lodged. I'm guessing the pendulum is stuck but how do I fix this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Kate

Tap it lovingly with a BFH!!!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Replace it. There is an aftermarket shoulder belt kit that 4wd.com and the usual suspects are selling, if you don't like the price of the OEM part. If you get that, there is an anchor extension for the middle that you will need. This is about 6 bucks for the pair. You need it because the Wrangler seats are higher than normal car seat height, and the aftermarket shoulder belts are actually car belts. Don't get me wrong, they work great, but they just need a little help in the length department.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

replace it with a mopar seat belt retractor assembly small price to pay considering your life is priceless in the event of a accident the seat belt is designed to work with the air bag system so keep it working correctly

Earle Hort> Replace it. There is an aftermarket shoulder belt kit that 4wd.com and the

Reply to
mr.som ting wong

It would have been $600 to replace the front belts and retractors in my Wrangler with OEM parts, and I don't even have air bags. That didn't even include the buckles. The YJs have been placed into something like extended obsolescence, which means that parts are still available but at greatly inflated cost. :o( If you have the new air bag compatible seat belt system with the explosive charge in the retractor (!!!) well Mr. Som Ting Wong is probably right.

You ever see the slow motion film of one of those going off with a human in the seat?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Does my Jeep have one of these?! I just watched one on MySpace and I was messing around with my seatbelt retractor with a screwdriver and some cleaner thinking something must have jammed in there. Now I'm kinda scared that that thing could have gone off. Yikes.

Reply to
griffin

If you have air bags, you probably have an explosive charge seat belt retractor. I believe that the charge is something like what's in a 45 auto cartridge, heh. The idea is that the air bag can do you some harm if you are leaning forward at the time of the impact. This thing goes off and yanks you back into the seat, a fraction of a second before the air bag goes off and snaps your neck. Imagine a volunteer fireman with one of those jaws of life things, cutting one in half.

If you are lucky enough to have air bags, then as the man said OEM parts only, even for something like a stuck seat belt retractor. If you want to replace the belt with a racing or off road type harness, this might be a good idea, but then you lose the ability to lean forward and fish around in the glove compartment while driving. (Preaching) Auto retracting seat belts are not entirely a good thing, as compared with the old manually adjustable type, provide those are used correctly. Most people do not use them correctly, and therefore the rest of use have to put up with these newfangled types of gadgets that can go wrong. Price of progress, I guess.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

** Posted from