XJ alternator lead question

I'm upgrading all the battery cables on my '99 XJ and was wondering where the main lead off the alternator goes. I really don't want to tear apart the harness if I don't have to.

Reply to
kid4lyf

It hooks up to the smaller red wire off the battery at the power distribution box.

Just a heads up. You cannot just 'change' that wire. It has a fuse link crimped onto the end by the distribution box that is the only overload protection the alternator has. Removing this can/will cause fires if something messes up later.

The fuse link is about 8" long with a loop end on the bolt the battery cable hooks onto and a large rubber tube shaped crimp connector on the alternator side of the link.

Mike

kid4lyf wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the heads up

Reply to
kid4lyf

Do you know what the value is of that fusable link?

Reply to
kid4lyf

It is actually a chunk of wire that is a thermal protection link.

The wire has a soft rubber insulation on it and can be purchased by the foot from the dealer or at some good automotive shops.

It is also normally 2 gauge sizes smaller than the harness circuit it protects.

Most alternator main wires are 10 ga. The fuse link is a 14 ga one for that.

Fuse link wires also have to be attached with crimp connectors. Soldering them ruins them.

Mike

kid4lyf wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain