XJ splash guard: why not remove it?

What detrimental effects are there of removing the rubber splash guard under the front of an XJ (a '92 Laredo in this case)?

(I believe in learning from others...uh...experiences. Having my own tends to be expensive!)

Stephen Gibbs snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Stephen Gibbs

That splash guard is there to help prevent road splash from getting on to and contaminating the belts, it also helps prevent stones from beating on the lower rad hose, it also keeps debris from getting up inside the engine compartment.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Hi Stephen, I removed the rubber splash guard from my 95xj some years ago and have not noticed any difference at all, the engine bay is no dirtier and no damage from stones etc, it was practically falling off anyway and was tangling in the steering componant, take it off I say! Glenn

Reply to
John Wainwright

tore mine out too.

Reply to
Sump

Some claim early alternator failure from not having a splash guard in place. Mine (splash guard) fell out years ago but I have a small piece stuck where my alternator is. Also whenever I hit a large puddle at 15+ mph I tend to fill the distributor with about an ounce of water. I wonder if a full splash guard would stop that. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego