XJ Transmission Thump

Last fall I purchased a used 2001 Jeep Cherokee with about 60,000 miles and no towing hitch. The transmission has a significant thump when it is shifted into drive when warm.

In the morning there is no thump - the engine and transmission are cold. But if I am running around town doing errands, every time I shift into drive there is a noticeable noise and slight lurch. Sometimes it will even thump after sitting in the parking lot 8-10 hours after work.

Last winter is wasn't so bad because the engine and transmission would cool down much more quickly.

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks --- mjb

Reply to
morgan

There are several things that would cause a harsh shift into drive; low fluid, throttle linkage misadjusted,u-joints worn/broken, axle back lash incorrect, hydraulic pressure incorrect, band mis-adjustment, clutch, band planetary component damage, or the converter clutch faulty. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Plus a bad engine or tranny mount, specifically I would look at the driver's side first. It is near the exhaust and can get heat affected.

Mike

Mike Romain

sounds like a very fast idle speed to me

Reply to
One out of many daves