Rev. Tom...

As our, or at least mine, resident KIA expert by means of ownership, have this ever happened to you: Wife's '02 Optima has an electric antenna embedded in the right rear fender. At least once a week must "assist" it to fully open or close so I can then thoroughly clean it so it will work properly again. This has been going on since Day #1. The dealer says it is the way it is & KIA is famous for this. Hmmm..... Have you had the struggle and, more importantly to my selfish goal - found a cure?

Rich

Reply to
<z

On an Optima, no.

But it is clear to me what your REAL problem is, and that is a poor KIA dealer service deparrtment.

I do know that KIA had their problems, especially in older cars. But no car company in the world works as hard to find bugs like that and find fixes for them. Be it TSB,s or whatever, there IS a solution to your problem. And if your dealer just won't go to the trouble of finding it, you need a different one.

I will be the first to admit that KIA dealers remain among either the very best or the very worst.

In the next day or so, as I have time, I will go to the Kia Tech Site, and see if I can find some help for you. Meanwhile, if you can e-mail me privately at: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net I will ask privately for more information that will help me on the Kia Tech Site.

Thanks for writing!

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Appreciated, Tom. I asked the question soon after buying the car in 2002, then just dealt with it since - never asking again. I will be fascinated to hear what, if anything can be done. Again, thanks.

Reply to
<z

I agree completely - mine Carnival (Sedona) has done same always. I have given up. It works better in some weather better than other. Here in up north in winter with ice and snow problems are huge compared to summer. Cleaning up it with some cleaner is the best and only thing I have been succesfull. That just needs to be done often. Putting any oil would just increase troubles as oil collects little bit more dust.

Of course you can replace antenna with another one from Kia parts but probably it happens after that again. Or fixed antenna without engine might be choise too. As I see new Kias has replaced engine antennas with fixed ones so I guess they have also given up in factory too.

timo

Reply to
Timo Ikola

Yes indeed, especially since now all American Kias are being equipped with Sirius Satellite radio, all you have is a base, with a small, fixed but flexible antenna mounted on the roof. Those without Sirius have fixed masts on them.

As I understand it, the biggest problem was a flaw that allowed these to bend way to easily, if only slightly. But slightly (usually imperceptible to the human eye) is enough to keep these from working well.

Thankfully, most full service car washes now automatically remove the fixed-mast antennas for you.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

I appreciate your research into my query, Tom. Looks like I'll keep doing what I've been doing & just make sure I consider this when buying a new KIA. If our plan goes as, uh, planned, we'll be buying a new KIA next year.

Reply to
<z

As you can see, I wrote this a tad over one year ago. Yesterday, the antenna died. Now I'll get to find out if the KIA replacement has improved at all.

Reply to
<z