Exporting a Land Rover from England into the States?

Anyone have any experience? Specifically, how tough would it be to get a Defender to, let's say, the Port of Jacksonville, FL?

TIA!

--PirateJohn--

PirateJohn

PirateJohn uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Hi,

None personally but Sis recently sold JLO

to a chap who exported her to the US. If you email me off list via the email on the linked site then I'll forward it on to Sis and ask her to forward on to the chap your side IYSWIM. Other than that you may have some luck speaking to Paddocks
who I understand have some experience in this area.

What ever you do come back though and let us know!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Also check out the pre-1972 rule- for all I know there may be exceptions though.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

H'mmmm, must be a loop hole or some ringering going on come to think of it... Mind the bloke did wait for the Docs to be sent to the DVLA for the engine number to be corrected as he said it would need to be bob on for the export... was it Pre 72 or pre a certain age?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

My understanding from reading the 101 list was that it was a 25 year rule. Mind it also has something to do with the state involved.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I cut this from the US customs site SAFETY, BUMPER, AND THEFT PREVENTION STANDARDS

Importers of motor vehicles must file form HS-7 at the time of vehicle is imported to declare whether the vehicle complies with DOT requirements. As a general rule, motor vehicles less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) in order to be imported permanently into the United States. Vehicles manufactured after September 1, 1978, must also meet the bumper standard, and vehicles beginning with model year 1987 must meet the theft-prevention standard..

also you need to have the chassis and anywhere that mud and sundry debris might accumulate thoroughly cleaned or you will be in for a severe arse kicking off the Agriculture Department there is a webpage with the rest of the info plus some experienced importers to help you through the regs

Derek

Reply to
Derek

You could try chatting to the Huddersfield land rover centre they export to the U.S and are a friendly bunch

Icky

Reply to
icky

Just spoken to Huddersfield Land Rover centre as I have had an enquiry about my 200tdi from the sates.

Apparently only Landrovers 25 years old or more can be imported... No exceptions.

Guess my 200tdi isnt going overseas then!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

All I know is that the bloke who exported my 101 said that to go to the US it had to be pre-1972 or 76 (don't know if that's build date or first use) and have no repairs to the chassis).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

One gentleman was nice enough to send me some links to the official US policies and so forth. Must be over 25 years old or comply with standards that a Defender couldn't possibly comply with, no exceptions for offroad usage, etc., etc.

And yet at

you have someone trying to sell a Defender diesel parts truck that is supposed to be sitting in Miami.

Someone 'splain this to me, please ;)

Reply to
PirateJohn

Can you not call them and ask them about whether it's legal and prod around for some info?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

As far as Defenders go there are of course a number of special USA limited addition versions that snuck in under the radar for a year or so. They were fitted with integral roll cages and had other special US standards met at the time. I think since then, sometime in the early

90's, later Federal standards put an end to it. I note from the web that these models fetch fancy prices over there, more than when new.

The thing about all (except the Freelander) Land Rovers though, is their unit construction. They are a bag of bolt on bits and more customisable and rebuildable than just about any other car around.. One can import an old series Land Rover, over 25 years or whatever the rule is, and effectively rebuild it from spare parts that are available and/or importable. I've seen a great custom rebuild Series 3 in the US that had a new galvanised chassis, coil springs and Range Rover running gear. As good or better than a new Defender. Considering the premium price of these relatively rare cars over there I'd imagine that custom rebuilding would be a good investment.

Reply to
mv

No diesels, alas. And the body selection is pretty limited. That, and the fact that a used Defender 90 over here is priced sky high anyway.

Yeah, that's pretty much what seems to be happening. Having seen commercial trucks rebuilt and 911 Porsches rebuilt about an older chassis, a Defender would be a piece of cake.

Still, how do you get a 90's Defender into the US? Cut it in half and call it parts?

Reply to
PirateJohn

I reckon just so. Import it in a dozen separate crates, all you need is a foundation vehicle with a legal status.

Reply to
mv

The above has lists of vehicles that are eligible for importing into the states, and the Defender 110 is on it, but only the 1993 model year from the look of it. I've not checked out the page in any detail but it might be worth you having a look and asking the right questions to the NHTSA (whoever they are).

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

John:

imports Land Rovers all the time to the US. They will even transport what your looking for to your front door via car-carrier. Call then with your specs. Good luck. Jack.

Reply to
Jack

They all appear to be past the 25-year mark, apart from one 1993 Camel Trophy Defender 200TDi, a snip at about £30,000! The OP was after a more recent Defender at somewhat less than £30k.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

John Wesley Gilmer III, 12526 Agatite Road, Jacksonville, Florida

32258; (904) 247-3543 or (904) 652-7222 or (904) 268-5220 or (904) 673-0932; "I'm smarter, bigger, stronger, and a lot meaner than you are. You also won't be the first person that I didn't like who I had to kill. Legally." -- john wesley gilmer III; john wesley gilmer III is, of course, "el Presidente, Atlantic Beach Vintage Motorcycle Club,
"

~~~

The information below is verified data regarding the malicious miscreant - "PigSty Pirate John" Wesley Gilmer III - who hides behind dozens of aliases to flame, harass, and infringe upon other people. It is unknown how many more aliases the scumbag hides behind.

John Wesley Gilmer III

12526 Agatite Road Jacksonville, Florida 32258 (904) 268-5220 or (904) 673-0932 (904) 247-3543 or (904) 652-7222

Known and verified aliases:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@BuccaneerPublishing.com

snipped-for-privacy@moffitthvac.com

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com "Douggie" snipped-for-privacy@hush.com "Nightmare" "Willy" snipped-for-privacy@hushmail.com "Scipio's roommate" "Ginger" "Floyd" "Viper" "Jose" Bill Cmelak loves his Hoodoo

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNOSPAM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Billy_Cmelaks snipped-for-privacy@hushmail.com "Bill Cmelak" snipped-for-privacy@hush.com "Smelly Billy" "Guy Good"

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@hush.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Take notice of the "NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.177.232.245" data in the headers of messages he has transmitted. He posted those messages via his place of employment, Moffitt Corporation in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. What a shit-hole that must be to allow an abject loser like him to post all manner of malicious and racist content all day long.

209.177.232.245 = Moffitt Corporation

Moffitt Corporation

1351 13th Avenue South, Suite 130 Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

The messages whose headers are transmitted via "NNTP-Posting-Host:

24.129.77.189" are those he typically spews away from Moffitt Corporation, usually from the house owned by his facilitating girlfriend Deborah Lynch rather than that of his current wife Claudia, aka "Joey.

The latest development is that "PirateJohn" Gilmer has posted messages that originate from the 216.253.112.18 domain which is registered to Venus Medical Communications, 1351 13TH AVE S, JAXVILLE BCH, FL, 32250 which, not too surprisingly, is a very close neighbor of Moffitt Corporation whose address is 1351 13th Avenue South, Suite 130, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250!

-- "PigSty PirateJohn" Weasely Gilmer III who initiates and perpetuates, yet refuses to take responsibility for, internet and real life abuse:

John Wesley Gilmer III, 12526 Agatite Road, Jacksonville, Florida

32258; (904) 247-3543 or (904) 652-7222 or (904) 268-5220 or (904) 673-0932; "I'm smarter, bigger, stronger, and a lot meaner than you are. You also won't be the first person that I didn't like who I had to kill. Legally." -- john wesley gilmer III; john wesley gilmer III is, of course, "el Presidente, Atlantic Beach Vintage Motorcycle Club,
"
Reply to
hoodoo

Thanks Jack!