“Land Rovers, eh, don’t see many of them out her e, they usually fall apart before they get out here.”

L/R product *might* be ok for your softcock easy-as-piss "green- laning" tracks in cold UK, but out in our harsh brutal enviorment they are JUNK:

=93Land Rovers, eh, don=92t see many of them out here, they usually fall apart before they get out here.=94 ******** G O L D! ********

God Bless TOUGH TOYOTA!!

Reply to
PaulpULVITZKA

?Land Rovers, eh, don?t see many of them out here, they usually fall apart before they get out here.? ******** G O L D! ********

God Bless TOUGH TOYOTA!!

-----------------------

Oh I dunno... I've had a few 'yota's drop axles, break hubs etc. Also... had one that kept popping out of 3rd gear. Cost a fortune to fix. Nothing like that's happened with the ancient 'fender (yet). Granted.. those toyota motors are nigh on bullet proof, especially the old 4.0 diesel.

The 300Tdi 'fender's been good so far... once the oil and water leaks etc. had been fixed ;)

The best bit is... I can get 10l/100km (highway) easy - that's about 30 mpg... not bad for a 2 tonne brick with a 2.5l motor, even fully loaded to GVM (or *slightly* beyond ;) ). Better than my Ford Falcon, anyway! What's the 'yota get?

...and if you're talking tough, the GQ Nissan driveline, including 'box, diff and axles is WAAAAYYY tougher than the 'yota, IMHO. ...and don't get me started on the cruddy 'yota independent front end... grrr.

'course the thing that always stops these beasties first is the tricky 'leccies, not the mechs... I seem to recall the new Disco stopping on the York Peninsula due to the 'pooder getting damp, on one test. But then those black boxes are found on every new thing these days, sadly, even Toyotas.

...but the old 300Tdi doesn't have a computer (or at least an engine computer), so that's not much of a problem. Ok, so mine rattles a bit, and sure, it's not the quietest or most comfortable machine out there, but honestly... who cares? The only time it stopped was when some mech didn't do up the earth lead on the battery properly. That managed to set off the immobiliser, so I had to sit there for 45 mins while the damned computer had a bit of a think and a scratch. (Mental note: Google 'disable defender immobiliser' after this).

It's not exactly fast, I grant you, but that's not what I bought it for. It climbs, wades and pulls just fine thanks, partly due to the fantastic standard transfer reduction, and the excellent suspension artic. out of the box. Add a snorkel, and extend the diff breathers up nice and high, and it wades just fine.

Same old story... keep 'em full of oil and water, and make sure the belts are changed when they need it, and it's tough enough, matey! ;) Poor maintenance will stop a 'cruiser or (god forbid) a Hilux (we used to call them Roll-uxes) just as fast as a landy.

I really caned mine a couple of weeks back on that 47 Deg Saturday of the Vic fires, (had to do 600km before lunch, including about 80km of dirt/bush tracks - lots of corrugations at high-ish speed, with a full load of gear and other crap) and I swear that the temp needle didn't move one millimeter off dead centre, where it stays all through winter and summer. Nothing fell off, and although I can't say I was exactly comfortable, even the aircon worked, even though the windscreen was hot to touch, plus I got a free massage from the hard-as-iron seats ;)

...and never underestimate how harsh a cold winter can be in the UK! Especially this year... I'm not sure which is worse... their snow-storms, or our floods and fires!

Reply to
asdf

?Land Rovers, eh, don?t see many of them out here, they usually fall apart before they get out here.? ******** G O L D! ********

God Bless TOUGH TOYOTA!!

You thick cumsponge.

Reply to
Nige

?Land Rovers, eh, don?t see many of them out here, they usually fall apart before they get out here.? ******** G O L D! ********

God Bless TOUGH TOYOTA!!

Doesn't that article, contradict you ?

bmc

Reply to
Brian Colwell

In message , PaulpULVITZKA writes

It's not about reliability or toughness. It's to do with character and class - and you've got neither.

Reply to
hugh

...and he has a girl's name to boot, by the look of it...

Reply to
Steve Taylor

****** SCOOP! *******

I saw a LandRubbis doing 130km/h.....

IT WAS ON THE BACK OF A TILT BED TRAY/TOW TRUCK!! :-)

Bwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!

Reply to
PaulpULVITZKA

I saw a LandRubbis doing 130km/h.....

Ooo... that means they lose their licence in Victoria ;)

I hoped they checked the gum trees for cameras first...

That's the other great thing about the defender... I will never, ever lose my licence through speeding!