New Defender - PHEV

I just read this in an on-line magazine!

"Land Rover has just released its PHEV of the new Defender, completing the new line of Defenders for now. The new hybrid version of the Defender will be powerful and efficient with 404 horsepower, a 0-60mph time of 5.4 seconds, and 85.3mpg with CO2 emissions of 74g/km. The electric motor produces instant torque whether you are on or off-road. The overall electric range is 27 miles. This variant will only be available with 110 models and comes out in early 2021."

Interesting - I did have a ride in one of Land Rover's own electric drive conversions of a 110, about 5 years ago at the Adventure Overland Show at Stratford-on-Avon racecourse, and was quite impressed! I seem to recall at the time that Land Rover would take your late Defender(Puma model) and do the total conversion for about £18k, and they were gauging interest at the time. Apparently there are a couple of these in use at the Eden Project.

Personally, I believe that electric drive(particularly hybrid) is the future, as long as the powers that be, can get past their reluctance to use highly efficient diesel engines(running on bio fuel) as the generator!

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Have you seen the figures Volvo have produced regarding their new Polestar 2 (pure battery electric)? Turns out it causes 24 tons of CO2 in manufacture against 14 tons for a petrol Volvo of similar size. Using the European average for electrical generation it takes 50,000 mile to catch up with the petrol, would be much more for a diesel.

Reply to
Bob Hobden
<snipped>

I haven't seen those figures, so I won't question them. However, the way we use petroleum products, and fossil fuels in general, WILL inevitably have to change - probably not in my lifetime though!

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

Understand the New Ineos Grenadier will be available as a Hydrogen fueled vehicle, believe it's a Fuel Cell, Ineos is a big Hydrogen producer. Standard engines are the 6 cylinder 3ltr BMW petrol and diesel.

Reply to
Bob Hobden