94 Lexus LS400 Dash Ilumination

We have a 94 LS400 that we purchased last year and its been a great car. We have noticed that especially on cold mornings that our dash illumination light will not work and after 5-10 minutes will strobe and then illuminate the panel. Lexus suggested changing the entire panel (cost approx. $1200) but there has to be a simpler fix than replacing the entire cluster. I have replaced all associated fuses without success in correcting the problem?

Any suggestions?

Reply to
emile courrege via CarKB.com

I think you have misunderstood them. Most likely they only replace the power supply at that price. Due to frequent break down, this question is asked here almost monthly. It would be polite to browse through old messages via googlegroups.

Replacing fuses does not help. The power supply has faulty design and components need to be replaced.

Please, learn to use search machines, and search before posting. If you correct the minor spelling mistake s/ilumination/illumination, you can readily find the answer via google. If you use the technical name for "dash", i.e., instrument cluster, you will find more discussion from the web. The search engines are a wonderful thing.

IMHO, Lexus should have built a cheaper alternative for fixing this design bug.

Reply to
Jyrki Alakuijala

Jyrki, Unfortunately after the fact I found a similar message posted last year. There was a reference to a Mr. Whizard repair facility in Canada that specializes in this repair (as well as for other make/mfg)..are you familiar with them?

Reply to
emile courrege via CarKB.com

Hey ole Jerky - you sound like you might not be the most polite character in the world yourself. You might consider telling us what you do in the future. The primary use of these newsgroups is to ask questions like this. I have been following this ng for a while and I have not seen this particular problem addressed. So in my opinon, you are out of line when you say it is brought up monthly. And you should be more polite, in my opinion.

Reply to
mcbrue

[...]

Yes, but this is not chat. The newsgroup discussions also builds up a huge database, that can be searched. This is a really nice asset for anyone, and usually gives much faster and more accurate answers. I had answered OPs question in detail during the last month.

I have been following newsgroups well before September 1993.

Reply to
Jyrki Alakuijala

I just had mine repaired by Tom (Mr. Whizard). $189 including all shipping charges. He even prepares and emails a UPS shipping label to ship the package to him. Turn around time is about 10 days. All in all it's a great experience and mine has worked great. Highly recommended. I've heard another guy in California does same. Lexus should be ashamed.

Reply to
Joe Liu

I had mine repaired by Jim Walker , he is a Electronics Engineer and he reverse engineered the faulty board design and fix this and other related problems once and for all.

As I opened up the the instrumental panel and take a close look at the board, there are many big caps that certainly with get bad over time. Lexus designers should use better quality caps for a $65K luxury car. Where is the concept of MTTF in manufacturing ?

I've got mine back last Friday (for gas guage problem, but it is all related), so far so good....

He charges $225/=, but he is the first guy (I think) who solve this puzzle. And... he is a board designer. I talked my colleage who is a board designer, he said that with his expertise, and what he charges, is very reasonable.

Carl Pearson put up a good site for instructions how to remove the instrumental cluster:

I took pictures the full details of steps how I disassemble it, up to the last screw. If you are interested, send me an email and I will send them to you.

BR,

V.

experience and

Reply to