I don’t even know if I have an alarm??

I just bought a 90 LS400. Iwas only given 1 key. This key does not have the alarm buttons on it but the car has a "security light" on the panel/console. Should i just go to Circuit City/GoodGuys/etc. and have them install an alarm which open the doors as well as secures the car? Price is a concern.

Reply to
samjwilson

The car has an alarm as standard equipment. If you want remote lock/unlocking and price is a concern, an aftermarket kit is probably the least expensive route.

Reply to
Ray O

Consider an remote starter. They will have buttons for the doors.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

I have the same concern. I recently purchased a '98 ES300 with (I assume) the same alarm, but I have no idea how to activate/disactivate it. Most of the time when I open the door the alarm starts making noise and I have to open/close the trunk, so I've become used to opening the trunk before getting into the trunk. Other times it doesn't make any noise. What's the deal with the alarm?

How much would an aftermarket kit cost?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

The factory security system works in the background. When you turn off the engine, open the door, and lock the car, the system will arm itself. To disarm, unlock a door with the key or remote. Using the interior lock button or manually unlocking the door from the inside won't do anything. The system is designed this way so someone can't just break a window and reach in to unlock the door.

If you open the door without unlocking it with a key or remote like having the window down and reaching in to open the door, the system will sound the horn and disable the ignition until you unlock with the key or remote.

Sorry, I have no idea as I've always had factory security systems. I am not a fan of aftermarket security systems because either the system itself of shoddy installation tends to cause problems. Choose a reputable installer and brand name kit.

Reply to
Ray O

First of all, Thanks!!! Second, if you ever get an idea of how much i wiould be looking at, please send me a note!

Reply to
samjwilson

You're welcome!

I've have never had anything but the factory standard or optional alarm so to be honest, I have no idea what an aftermarket system goes for.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the info. I guess the problem is with the alarm itself because, 9 out of 10 times, it will sound whenever I open the door with the key. Since I don't have a remote I can't disable it. My habit now is to open the trunk before opening the door. But that's what I want to avoid.

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

There is a switch connected to the lock, and when you unlock the door, the switch deactivates the alarm. The switch in the lock may be worn or bad so it doesn't de-activate the alarm. Opening any lock with a key would deactivate the alarm so opening the passenger door should also de-activate the alarm. You may be able to purchase the just switch without the lock at a Lexus dealer or junk yard.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks!!!

Reply to
samjwilson

If you want to test the factory alarm, just roll down the drivers window. Lock the car, reach in and open it with the inside door handle. If the alarm is working, the car will go nuts. (Horn blinking, lights flashing, attempting to draw as much attention to itself as possible) I knew my car had an alarm, but didn't know it would activate this way. Found out the hard way.

Reply to
Me

You have to wait about 30 sec. Watch the LED.

Reply to
Bo Yancey