Lexus reveals potential Mini fighter - LF-SA is the Toyota premium brand's smallest car to date

This bears a strong resemblance to our CR-Z. The main differences are the grill, a higher profile and the large wheels.

FROM: ANE

Lexus revealed the aggressively styled LF-SA subcompact concept at the Geneva auto show today. If built, the model would compete against the Mini hatchback and Audi A1 in Europe's entry-premium segment.

?The SA stands for small adventurer. It?s the most compact Lexus ever,? said Alain Uyttenhoven, head of Lexus in Europe.

Lexus International Executive Vice President Mark Templin said the car is "just a design concept,? and a way of getting the brand?s stylists to think about the future, when car buyers in crowded megacities are expected to be seek out premium small cars.

A smaller Lexus does not mean a cheaper Lexus, Templin added. ?We are not aiming to shift our price point lower with this car,? he said.

Mini currently charges a premium price for its subcompact-sized models as does Audi with the A1. Those two cars dominate Europe's entry-premium niche, which currently includes just six models.

When asked about the concept car on Tuesday, Toyota Europe CEO Didier Leroy said: "Many premium brands decided to downsize such as Audi with the A3 and A1, and BMW with the 1 series and the Mini. We thought, if we want to compete with them, we need to do something completely different."

A production version of the Lexus model could go on sale in 2018 and would slot below the CT, the brand's best-seller in Europe, reports said. Like the CT, a production LF-SA would be offered only with a hybrid powertrain, the reports added.

A subcompact based on the LF-SA could give Lexus a sales boost in Europe, where Toyota?s premium brand has failed to make headway against German rivals.

Lexus sold 31,079 vehicles in the Europe last year, up 30 percent on the year before, according to industry association ACEA. The brand, however, had a European market share of just 0.2 percent compared with Audi's 5.6 percent, BMW brand's 5.5. percent and Mercedes brand's 5 percent.

Lexus increased its 2014 European sales of the CT 9 percent to 10,140, according to JATO Dynamics. View the attachments for this post at:

cazza13