Why doesn't Lexus ask it's customers?

I have an '03 LS430 Custom. Previously, I had a '99 LS400.

As the head of a software department for an eCommerce company, I found that our customers were by far my richest source of ideas for product improvement.

As a Lexus owner, I have yet to be asked by Lexus for my opinions on the car, or what changes I'd like to see.

I find that quite puzzling. If asked, my response would be:

Pros:

  1. VERY comfortable and quiet. All of the controls are in just the right place and are easy to use.

  1. Except for the reluctance to downshift, a quick car, which I enjoy.

  2. The turning radius is wonderfully small.

  1. The laser cruise control is the one "Gadget" that I use all the time. I wish it would work in inclement weather though.

  2. Some owners don't seem to like the partial wood steering wheel. I really like it.

  1. The navigation system (My wife calles her "Molly") is excellent and easy to use. When my wife tells me where to go, Molly tells me how to get there.

Cons:

  1. Far to aggressive climate control system. I'm often manually setting the fan speed down from high. The new Chrysler 300C has a selection for High auto or Low auto. Something like that would help.

  1. The relutance to downshift under moderate to heavy throttle. This has caused me to abruptly abort merging attempts several times. I consider this a safety issue.

  2. The external styling of the LS430 isn't as gracefull as the LS400.

  1. I know you shouldn't, but sometimes it sure would be nice to be able to set the navigation system without stopping.

Suggestions:

  1. If they had an AWD version, I'd trade my '03 right now.

  1. Add that climate control maximum fan speed switch.

  2. Lose the voice activation system for navigation and climage control. It only seems to understand me about 10% of the time and who can remember those 200+ commands?

  1. PLEASE stop nagging me every time I start the car about my Lexus Link system being active. Only tell me when it ISN'T active (Which I understand will be all the time in a year or so...)

HBH

Reply to
Helmar Herman

Just FYI, I think the '04 model went from the laser-based rangefinder on the cruise to a radar-based system. That should be much less susceptible to issues from snow, rain, and road spray.

-- Pete

Helmar Herman wrote:

Reply to
Pete

They do ask their customers lots of things. They have major customer focus groups going all the time and they monitor various web sites and news gruops for information. And they send out a detailed questionaire to new owners.

I believe they sell over 100K Lexus vehicles a year in the NA market alone, so they can't ask everybody.

Most of the things you find wrong with the vehicle are compromises due to cost, regulations, or tradeoffs in other areas. Not a lack of customer feedback.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

various web sites

Boy, I sure wish the focus groups would focus better on the '02 (and later) ES shifting problem...... What a pleasure that car would be without that problem.

Reply to
njbok

The LS has the same exact problem too...

Reply to
Dan J.S.