Latest threads in Car Maintenanceshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Sometimes there is real satisfaction in a repair
Yesterday I had one of my regulars in: Ford Focus 1.8, one owner, yearly service. This year it was 10 years old (but only 63K) and the owner asked to have the cam belt done (as I had recommended last...
31
31

Mixing oils
Can you mix semi synthetic and fully synthetic oils together ? I ask as I spotted 4 litres of semi synthetic oil in tesco for £7.50 the cheapskate in me jumped out and thought hmm cheap but my 1.8 04...
1
1

astra oil change: sheered plug?
Hello, I crawled under the (1.4 petrol, 56 plate) Astra to unscrew the sump plug to do an oil change. The sump plug requires a T40 IIRC, but as I started to turn it, it felt as if the socket was...
12
12

Scrap value for 98 Corsa?
My niece has a 98 1.0 Corsa that needs a clutch, brakes, tyres, etc, more than a 18 year olds purse contains! (Clothes and McDonalds etc take priority....) She may be scrapping it, I would like to buy...
3
3

Change or clean spark plugs? Or just leave them?
What do most people do with their spark plugs nowadays? When I was a lad, you'd just clean them up a bit with wet-or-dry, close the gap up a bit, and put them back for a few more years. Haynes tells...
13
13

Putting a car back on the road
My daughter's old Corsa has been Sorned for 9 months and she'd like to put it back on the road (if economic). Am I right in thinking that the correct sequence of actions is to 1) book car into...
3
3

Car insurance and missing no claims
My son who is thirty years old has not had much use for a car of his own so has often used mine when needed and so has been included on my insurance. He now needs a car of his own, and when looking at...
50
50

Golf Mk4 TDI ABS warning light staying on
Hi all, My 02 TDI Golf's ABS warning light is staying on, and a look in my books essentially said to take it to a VW dealer. I gather that it reverts to the normal braking system when this happens. I...
4
4

Peugeot 5008
Any advice for things to look at when buying a 5008? Probably a 1.6 Looking for one around 2 years old on a 10 plate. I don't do a lot of mileage (5000ish annual) so can consider petrol and diesel....
20
20

Fiesta slightly fast idle for a minute or so.
I'm just curious to hear if this is normal, or not. My 2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec has a slightly high idle for the first minute or so after starting up. It's only about 1300-1400 RPM, so it's not going...
9
9

Volvo V70 D5 rough idle
My Volvo 2004 V70 D5 diesel has developed a rough idle. It's got plenty of miles on it (227k) but otherwise is running fine. I suspect this has gradually got worse but I only noticed it yesterday for...
12
12

Focus Temperature Sensor / Fan Issues
Hi I have a Ford Focus 1.6TDCi 08 plate Mk2.5. A couple of days ago the engine got rather warm, the dash sensor was reading about 90ºC - a little higher than normal but far from exessive as i turned...
6
6

Slow tyre leak
[...] It's not something I would consider, other than as an emergency 'get you home' cure. Is a second hand wheel a possibility? Chris
18
18

Rough Audi A6 tickover and duff replacement parts;(..
A cautionary tale;!.. Quite somewhile ago I posted here re my vintage Audi A6 and an a rough idle problem. From the start this would very rapidly start to "hunt" i.e. rev up to say 1500 and down and...
8
8

Ford Car pump
My Ford Car Pump has electric wires going down directly into the fuel.Why does this not explode on starting the car? Can anyone explain the process for me?
15
15