Latest threads in Car Maintenanceshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Jeep Cherokee - maintenance & costs
Hi - Thinking about buying one of these, as a practical second car, load-carrier & tow-truck. The interweb seems to think they're practically bombproof - simple, solid engine & drivetrain, no tinworm...
5
5

Unusual fault?
BMW E39 528i. After a cold night on drive. Unlocked the car, put the key in to start car. Instrument display dead. Nothing showing at all. Started car. No fuel, rev or mileage reading. Drove about 10...
2
2

For the electronics bods again - MK2 Golf Clocks. Again
Since my last post on the matter (MFA computer and Rev counter not working (but the digital clock is), and no oil warning lamp, most likely due to the battery being connected backwards, however...
7
7

Leaking diesel cutoff valve?
Hi All, Recently I've been noticing a slight diesel smell after getting out of the 93 Rover 218SD (1900 Pug). Yesterday I noticed a very slight trace of diesel on the wet drive (emanating from under...
3
3

Ka can't see oil level on dipstick
We just acquired a nice 2001 Ka. Checking the dipstick, oil is smeared all the way up, denser at the bottom , and thinner about 3cm above the max line. I don't think the engine is overfilled - it is...
15
15

FREE CAR MAINTENANCE
AN IPHONE, the most high tech piece of technology in a cellular device, for FREE!!!! I cant wait to see the look on my son's face when he gets one for Christmas! I am trying to complete another offer...

Micra rear brakes
Hi folks Just took the boys Micra down for MOT and all it failed on was the rear brakes low efficiency. The handbrake passed the test fine though so the guy reckons it's wouldn't be the shoes,...
7
7

Running engine with spark plug disconnected - how long to damage cat ?
If a careless person were to disconnect one spark plug lead on a 4 cylinder engine to improve access for some maintenance work, and afterwards start the engine from cold and sit there thinking "hmm......
3
3

savnat speed accuracy
does anyone know how accurate the speed indication on a satnav unit is I am getting a 10% difference between my satnav and my speedo and would like to know which one to trust as i pass through the new...
74
74

Car Omitting Sulphur Type Smell.
I have a 52 Astra that seems to omit a strong sulphur type smell after even the shortest of trips. Anyone any explanation as to what may be causing this. Cheers, Doug.
13
13

Brake pipes split with no sign of corrosion
I just had my wife's car serviced and they did a full service and replaced front brake pads. After leaving garage I drove for less than 5 miles when the brakes failed completely! Luckily I was driving...
19
19

Skimming cyl heads.
On most modern heads, the journals for the camshaft or shafts are machined as part of the head. Therefore if the head is skimmed flat because of distortion, a permanent error is being put in the line...
12
12

Second Brand tyres
A tyre place recently mentioned the names of Pirelli and Michelin Second Brand tyres but I lost the note I made. Does anyone here know the names of Pirelli and Michelin Second Brand tyres? Thanks
26
26

Anti rust potions ?
Folowing on my my thread who sai golfs don't rust, I started reading some guides on deailing with rust. I read some about Hammerite Kurust Rust Remover which basically you dab on and it changes it...
16
16

Jacks
Hi all, Lent my axle stands to someone and am having difficulty getting them back.... need to replace my front pads so is it reasonably safe to do that without stands - I could use both my bottle jack...
3
3