Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Peugeot 106 squeaky gear lever?
My brothers car suffers from a squeaky gear lever - every time he changes gear, doesn't matter if the engine is running or not. Is this a common problem? Any quick fixes? Thanks Mark.

automatic gearboxes vs. manual ones
Hello, I hope this isn't a flame or a FAQ but what are the pros and cons of automatic and manual gearboxes? I've only ever driven manual cars before. I've just been on holiday and rented a car which...
52
52

Car Burning Oil - Manufactuer Won't Fix
HI, I would welcome any suggestions on how to deal with this issue: *My car is under warranty but it runs out in a few months *Car has progressively burned more oil over the past year (Started at...
45
45

Cologne V6 cylinder numbering?
Probably one for Conor... How are the cylinders numbered on the Cologne V6 please?
2
2

how set cambelt tension peugeot/citroen XU10J4R engine
Hi there, I want to do a DIY cambelt cange on my citroen XM 2.0L16V with XU10J4R engine. Looking through the Haynes manual, i think i will be fine, except for getting the cambelt tension right....
2
2

Restoroing Mk1 Escort - VIN?
Went to the scrap yard the other day and saw my old Mk1 Escort is still there laying in a field from when I scraped it in 1997. Just dug out the old documents and discovered my V5 is complete as in...
31
31

Toyota Corolla T Spirit 2.0L diesel cold start problem.
In the first cold snap about a month ago the car failed to start for the first time ever. I suspected frozen water in the fuel filter so removed it and replaced with new. Checked contents of old...
10
10

MK2 Fiesta too rich ?
My son has an old fiesta 1.1 N reg which must have been the last of the old style mk2 fiesta. We've noticed the spark plugs seem to be quite black and sooty which implies the fuel/air mixture is...
5
5

What's the difference between derv and gasoil (red diesel) ?
As header really. I thought it was just a dye added to make gasoil readily distinguishable. Reason for asking: I was at a garage today where I witnessed a heated debate over the use of gasoil in...
16
16

Micra squeaking
I am a mechanical numpty. I barely know one end of a spanner from the other, and can't use a screwdriver unless I really think hard and stick my tongue out while I'm using it. There. That's that out...
11
11

black ice and consequently damaged car. who's responsible?
Hi All, Around over a week ago when it was really cold and icy I drove a car in the morning and I lost control as black ice was on a very bendy road. My car skid and hit a curb. I didn't drive more...
23
23

Beam adjusting
Nissan Almera 2004 Is it possible to adjust front lamps beam by myself? If so, how? Tks for your time.
6
6

Cleaning EGR Valve...
Hi Vauxhall Combo 1.6 Petrol/LPG. The old EGR problem again, R.E. my old posting, I've had the new exhaust fitted and the MIL light is back on following resetting. Reading the codes by pressing brake...
5
5

Ford Escort Alarm Problem
Hi everyone, I own a 1995 Ford Escort with a serious alarm problem. Recently my key stopped working on my driver side door so I went out and got another, this worked for about a week and then would...
1
1

Rover SD1 Vitesse fuel pump.
Need a new fuel pump for my '85 SD1 Vitesse. Rimmer Bros want £132.19 inc VAT, ex postage so about £142.00 total. Looks like I can get a suitable pump from:- £94.88 inc VAT & postage. A saving of...
2
2

Code for Blaupunkt Vancouver RC44 - Can anyone help?
Hello! Can someone help me with a code for my radio? SR Nr. BP3782S5776001 Many thanks! belo
1
1

Rover 200 '99 misfire
Hi, On returning from holiday my wife's car would not start - wouldn't even catch (as though there was no spark [which there was]). Wiggled a few wires which made no odds. Finally managed to make it...
17
17

Fault code reader for Renault 1.9 dTi
Hi, Does anyone know if there is a low cost fault code reader for a 1998 Renault Megane Scenic RT dTi 1.9 engine. It keeps going into 'limp' mode until ecu is reset. Thanks to all, Derek
9
9

Hyundai Amica Si - hesitation
Well as there is only a tinyyyyyyyyy engine I suppose it hesitates anyway - but this one has only done 15,000 and is a 2000Reg so hardly overworked. When I press the accel pedal, it's as if the engine...
1
1

Oil filter ID please
I found an old Fram filter, part no. PMFL 88 in my shed. Can anyone ID what car(s) this fits? It's very close in fitment to the ones that fit most Nissans.
6
6