Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Vauxhall Astra - Cannot Flash Headlights
Hi, I'm unable to flash my main headlights on my M(96) reg Vauxhall Astra Hatchback. The low, normal and high beams on the headlights all work ok, but when I use the control to flash the lights...
14
14

SEAT Toledo Water Leak
Anyone who has worked on VAG cars will know the rubbish design of the pollen filter housing. I have just taken the pollen filter out of my Toledo, and although being very dirty, it's not damp. Those...
2
2

Cooling system airlock on a Mk4 Polo!, Any ideas?
I have an airlock on a MK4 Polo I recently replaced a faulty thermostat, which cured the overheating problem. Now the heater just blows cold air and I must have introduced air into the system. I have...
6
6

Focus diesel tickover problem
Took my 51 reg Tdi for a long run at 70 ish all the way. When I got back, the engine was ticking over at 1500 rpm rather than it's normal 800. It wouldn't drop below this figure as I edged forward in...

Ford Focus TDDI (Endura DI engine) cambelt replacement
The car has done 81K miles now, and thought the mechanic says to leave it until 100K miles before changing the belt, I don't want to tempt fate and it's not his cash down the pan if it snaps! I've...
9
9

Ducato 2.0 jtd oil change
This is the second time that I have changed the oil & filter on my motorhome. The handbook says that it holds 5.25 litres including the oil filter. I have just refilled and can only just get 4 litres...
1
1

1996/P Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt
Just wondering what a sensible interval for these is - my Dad's car (which he's had from 'nearly new') last had it done at 55k, 6 years ago (main dealer job, with tensioners), and apparently they...
7
7

Mondeo revs "hunting" when cold
Mondeo 2.0 petrol, manual, Mk3 03 reg (Duratec HE). Engine revs are "hunting" when cold. Car starts perfectly but revs continually cycle between about 800rpm and 1300rpm as if blipping the throttle...
3
3

Astra exhaust / emissions warning light
Booked me and the wife a nice little weekend break in Paris. Set off on Friday for Heathrow (only have to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure with carry-on baggage as I had checked-in on-line and had...
18
18

A woman's guide to car tires..
Women certainly are not helpless. But sometimes we are a little overwhelmed working a 40-hour week, taking care of the children, cooking, cleaning, and doing laundry. The car is just another added...
12
12

Early MoT - wrong expiry date?
Took my car in for its MoT today and it passed with no problems. My current certificate expires 15/8/2006 but the actual test was done on 4/08/2005 (I took it early last year too). On getting home...
16
16

Suspension bushes dying on a Ford Ka
Hi all, The rear bushes on the lower suspension arms of the wife's Ka are starting to split. My question is is sorting this out do-able for someone of my experience? :) I'm getting quite adept at...
27
27

vauxhall corsa creaking clutch
I've got a 1.0L 12V 3-cylinder corsa B. Had a new LUK clutch kit put in about 7 months ago at 60000 miles, done about another 8000 miles on it since then. Clutch cable snapped at the pedal end last...
2
2

Best car battery (& solar charger) for infrequent use.
I'm needing a new car battery. Which is the best type and brand? My car (a Primera 1.6Si) is parked up for 6-8 weeks on end so low self-discharge of the battery is a must as is repeated recovery from...
5
5

Volvo 850 misfire under acceleration..
"tony sayer" wrote > Anyone any ideas?.. HT leads?
7
7

Drilling discrete holes and filling panels with waxoil - good idea? what is the best method?
Hi, I'm not at all experienced in car maintenance, but wondering if it's a good idea to follow some advice I got - I'm planning to drill small holes, maybe 6 or 9 mm, into hidden parts (normally from...
26
26

Almera Multi CD error
2001 Nissan Almera with a 6 CD changer. Only had the car about a month. Put 6 CDs in when I got it, all played ok. Tried to play them today it said CD Error. Tried ejecting the discs, only 3 of them...
1
1

Citroen Saxo radio wiring
Hi, I have a T reg saxo which was recently broken into and the radio and ISO connector stolen, I have a replacement radio and bought an ISO connector but the new wires are different colours to the old...
1
1

Fiesta Mk3 Lock/Immobiliser
Can anyone answer me a few questions; Are the immobiliser rings around the ignition barrel specific to the ECU or can they be swapped from one car to another as long as the keys are swapped to? Is it...
2
2

Medion MD-40302 CD/Radio player
Hi, Im trying to find info about a Medion MD-40302 CD/Radio player. Anyone got any ideas? S/N: 0239 / 03
3
3