Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

citroen xantia starter motor problems
Please help....I have a citroen Xantia turbo diesel, which up untill now has never had a problem. Over the last couple of days whilst trying to start, instead of the engine turning over it just...
4
4

rover 600
can any one tell me how to get the fault codes out off a s reg rover 600 2.0 16v (honda engine) as its running like a 1.6 and a bit slugish.
1
1

How to remove back box from rest of exhaust system?
In the absence of an oxy-acetylene torch, blowlamp or similar, what's the easiest way to remove the back box from the rest of the exhaust system? The pipe from the back box fits over the pipe coming...
4
4

Hyundai Lantra. Door remote problem
Please can you help. My wife has a Hyundai Lantra. The door lock remote has failed. I have replaced the battery, the red led flashes when the buttons are pressed but the car door will not respond. Can...

Ford Fiesta L reg. No starting/cutting out. Rv!
Hi all, Returning after a long break away. Hopefully you can help. I have an L reg 1.1 Fiesta, with electronic ignition. It's having problems running on a few occasions. Usually "cutting...
7
7

Peugeot 106 not starting
Hi, I have a 2001 Peugeot 106 1.1. Every morning it struggles to start! Starts after 4 or 5 goes though but only after it resets the clock to 1:00 on the dash! Any ideas what could be wrong, new plugs...
7
7

Rover 214 Windscreen replacement
I have a crack in my Rover 214 windscreen and mot is due, Bugger. It is a fail item about 6-8 inches long in the wiper sweep area on the passenger side. I can get a cheap replacement windscreen from a...
3
3

Volvo 440 idle problem
Hi, A few weeks ago on a cold morning the idle revs went down to about 500 then up to 2000, and continued to pulse between the two. The problem went away but has now reoccured, but as well as pulsing...
2
2

Corsa Tarpety noise on startup
Over the last few weeks my 2000 1.6/16v corsa has started to make a tappety noise when started from cold which lasts for about 5 second and quietens. Its never done it before and the oil was changed...
6
6

strange jerking on Mondeo....
Trying to narrow down a problem on a newly acquired mondeo, was bought dirt cheap, so dont mind spending some pennies to get it repaired. V reg 2.00 Mondeo petrol, with a zetec engine. The engine is...
13
13

Renault Megane cat problem
Hi, has any body had problems with the cat on a Renault Megane? I have a 2000 (X reg) Renault Megane Couple 1.6v Sport Alize which I got a 1.5year ago. On the first day of buying the car, it lost all...
2
2

Citroen AX transmission oil filler plug
Please could someone save my sanity and tell me exactly where to locate the transmission oil filler plug on a Citroen AX (1.5D, 1995). The Haynes manual cheerfully declares it to be somewhere on the...
2
2

Why do 2nd hand car battery chargers cost so much on ebay?
I was wondering why people on ebay are paying so much for 2nd hand battery chargers. This one for instance "Selmar Star Battery Charger" for 17 pounds plus 6.99 postage. This is an ancient model with...
4
4

Fiesta door removal
I have amk3 Fiesta and am having diffculty in removing the door hinge pins. Does anyone have an easy solution to remove the hinge pins...?
2
2

ford escort van fuel economy
hi i have a ford escort van that is not doing many mpg. 28 on a run at 50 mph. it is the endura engine 1.8 litre,non turbo. i have seen a friend who reckons a new set of injectors would help as they...
4
4

Idle air control valve - Citroen Synergie
Does anyone know how the Idle control valve works on a Citroen Synergie 2.0 petrol. The revs are dropping low and sometimes stalling at junctions. I cleaned up the IAC and with it removed from its...
3
3

Lowering a Xantia suspention
Hi I have seen a couple of Xantia with what looks like their suspension lowered. Can this be done without causing problems and if so how. Regards Tony
12
12

How do I disable factory fitted alarm on a Astra ??
My alarm keeps going off when the weather is too warm. But how can I lock the car without enabling the alarm ?? I've tried locking the car manually clockwise and anticlockwise, but the alarm is still...
3
3

Connecting a multimeter to a Micra coil
I'm wanting to check the rpm on a 1994 Nissan Micra with a Gunson's multimeter. There are 2 terminals which attach to the battery and a blue lead which needs to be attached to the coil. The coil on...
6
6

Toyota Celica GT4 ST185 PCV problems
Is it possible to clean the PCV system on a 1990 Alltrac/GT4 without removing the cam cover/intercooler/throttlebody/EGR etc? I'm gettting a lot of oil loss, and it has gotten worse since I replaced...
4
4