Narrowly avoided the same delivery van twice in one day!

Crashing has thankfully been a rather rare occurence in my nearly 40 years of driving. An errant Saab did manage to thump the rear end of my stationary Metro fairly forcefully at a roundabout 20 some years ago and a small van did something similar to the rear of the Focus at a T junction when again I was stationary about six years ago but at barely a couple of mph and only created a miniscule crease in the plastic bumper.

Today I was minding my own business pottering southwards down the A948 from Auchnagatt to the Tesco at Ellon at about the 60 mph limit when an Asda delivery van coming the other way about 2 miles north of Ellon starts drifting over the white line towards me. The driver is looking down at his satnav, mobile phone, radio or whatever rather than the road and at the point when I'm contemplating whether initiating a painful excursion through a dry stone wall into a field might actually be preferable to a head on collision with 4 tons of van at a combined closing speed of 120 mph he finally looks up, hurls the wheel over, nearly rolls the f****ng van but happily we miss each other and I continue on to do my shopping.

An hour later, shopping in car, I'm driving back up the same road on the way home. About 4 miles north of Ellon there's a sharp bend, right hander if you're going north like me. Just as I'm coming up to that a van coming round the bend as a left hander from the north thumps into the kerb with its nearside wheels as the driver completely misjudges how wide his vehicle is or how to position it on the road without hitting anything else, this throws the van into the air briefly and lurches it into my path again until the driver hurls the wheel over and narrowly misses me. To my astonishment as we slide past each other it's the same f****ng Asda delivery van with the same incompetent nitwit at the wheel failing miserably to pilot it in any sensible way!

There's not much I can do to avoid people driving into the back of me when I'm stationary but I consider a couple of such minor instances in 40 years to be a reasonable downside of being able to drive myself around amidst the other fuckwits on the road. Nearly getting hit full on frontally at speed by the same bloody driver in the space of an hour is taking the piss somewhat though.

I've been in bed with the flu all week. I only dragged myself out to go shopping because I've run out of comestibles. I didn't realise it would be such a hazardous experience. I'm going back to bloody bed again where it's safe!

Reply to
Dave Baker

a call to asda is in order

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No, no, no. If Dave phones up Asda's delivery service he'll likely get the nerk with the van through the bedroom wall....

;-)

Reply to
Scott M

If you really had flu you'd barely be able to move let alone get out of bed and drive.

Reply to
Eddie

Have you thought about getting your shopping delivered...?

Reply to
Adrian

How do you tell if someone has the flu or just a cold?..

Get them to sit next to the window overlooking the garden outside.

Get someone to drop a £20 pound note and tell them if they can go and get it then they can keep it.

If they can go and get it then they only have a cold;-!)....

Reply to
tony sayer

The one and only time I had flu, the only thing that kept me alive was the faint hope that perhaps I might die.

Reply to
Huge

If you were around in late 1918 then your wish would have very likely come true;!!!...

The effect of the influenza epidemic was so severe that the average life span in the US was depressed by 10 years. The influenza virus had a profound virulence, with a mortality rate at 2.5% compared to the previous influenza epidemics, which were less than 0.1%. The death rate for 15 to 34-year-olds of influenza and pneumonia were 20 times higher in 1918 than in previous years (Taubenberger).

People were struck with illness on the street and died rapid deaths. One anecdote shared of 1918 was of four women playing bridge together late into the night. Overnight, three of the women died from influenza (Hoagg).

Others told stories of people on their way to work suddenly developing the flu and dying within hours (Henig). One physician writes that patients with seemingly ordinary influenza would rapidly "develop the most viscous type of pneumonia that has ever been seen" and later when cyanosis appeared in the patients, "it is simply a struggle for air until they suffocate," (Grist, 1979). Another physician recalls that the influenza patients "died struggling to clear their airways of a blood- tinged froth that sometimes gushed from their nose and mouth," (Starr,

1976). The physicians of the time were helpless against this powerful agent of influenza. In 1918 children would skip rope to the rhyme (Crawford):

I had a little bird, Its name was Enza. I opened the window, And in-flu-enza.

Interesting 'tho scary reading as this could happen again;!..

tony sayer

But without a car cam, he wouldn't be believed. Yes one would expect more from a 'commercial' driver of van with company logo.

Mind you, a van deliberately tried to force me off the motorway the other day. I saw him coming at me in my mirror and just managed to swerve into the hard shoulder to avoid his attack. It was pure road-rage because I had annoyed him as I hesitated too long when he tailgated me very close up. Police was informed, but I wished that I had a car cam.

Reply to
johannes

What you needed was 'instant karma' when you are tailgated

worth a watch:

Mrcheerful

Yeah it amazes me what people want to sacrifice for just two seconds advantage on the road. I have certainly learned just to let go and never provoke or interact (or press the turbo), it helps when you get older...

When I was tailgated too long, I pressed the turbo and flew into the horizon from the attacker, then moved to inside lane to get out of trouble. But apparently, that just fanned the flames.

Reply to
johannes

I just take my foot off and get them past me.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sure next time. I really hate the outside lane and try to steer clear of it except for short bursts of overtaking. So many driving close up there. Again, the few seconds advantage doesn't really matter.

Reply to
johannes

I felt very low and depressed for the whole day, thinking of how narrowly I missed a disaster. Anticipation is a useful habit, I can often tell exactly what they're going to do next by their manners. E.g. drivers where you can see their hand on top of their steering wheel always wants to get ahead of the crowd.

Reply to
johannes

Report the incident to ASDA then forget about it 'cos you'll not hear another word. :-)

Reply to
Kellerman

Would any shop be interested in something that happened all those years ago? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I hadn't spotted the date and just thought my newsreader was playing tricks!

Reply to
Fredxx

Dave Baker was the giveaway. Much missed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Him what tuned MGBs? Departed?

Reply to
AJH

Yup - he had a tuning firm. Hope he only departed from this group. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News