mazda3 mileage?

I have a new (2007) Mazda3 wagon with automatic transmission in California. The EPA mileage estimates are 25/31 but so far I'm getting only 18/24, and I'm not a particularly aggressive or wild driver. With other cars I've owned I have tended to get much closer to the estimates. Is the mileage I'm getting typical, or should I be trying to figure out whether something is wrong?

Reply to
Eric Lindholm

I have a '07 Mazda6 V6/auto and I'm also not getting close to the advertised mpg. I'm thinking (hoping?) the engine is tight and mileage will improve with age. OTOH, I do go heavy on the go-pedal and the A/C runs all the time (I hate summer in Hawaii). Still, with my last car, a Ford Probe GT, I took an immediate 10-percent hit in mpg when "we" switched to E10 gasoline.

Sorry, I'm no help here, but...

-- James

Reply to
James

It is alleged that James claimed:

I have an '03 6s (v6, auto). I +am+ getting reasonably close to the claimed MPG for this car, and I, too, am a bit heavy on the go-pedal. I've also noticed minimal to zero effect on my mileage if the AC is left on auto or off, so I tend to turn it off only if I want the breeze of open windows.

The switch to E10 did initially hit both my mileage and horsepower, but the engine computer adjusted after a couple tanks and both came back up, but horsepower didn't fully recover.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

What's your commute like? For me, my job is approx 3 miles from home, I'd say a 50/50 mix of freeways and surface streets. Going from work to home is

100 percent surface streets and there's a whole lot of idling involved because our traffic engineers have no clue how to synchronize the lights.

My Probe never did recover the lost mpg; probably due to its being older ('96 model).

-- James

Reply to
James

It is alleged that James claimed:

About 5 feet. I work from home. But my driving patterns over the past ~4 years has been mostly highways or rural routes with few traffic lights.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

Thanks for the responses. I guess it sounds like I'm probably in the normal range. That's a bit of a bummer, since I bought this car expecting its mileage to be a solid step up from the Subaru Impreza's it was replacing (and Consumer Reports said that it would be). Maybe it will smooth out after a couple more tanks.

Reply to
Eric Lindholm

Interesting...I bought my Mazda3 as a replacement for a Subaru Impreza, too!

I have an '06 5sp. GT sedan, and average a little over 27MPG around town, and have seen mileage as high as 36MPG through the Ozarks; the winding highways kept my speed down, and there was a lot of coasting, which is why the mileage was so good, I'm thinking.

Reply to
DWJ