107 Mercedes engines ...

I've noted 350SL, 450SL, 380SL, and 560SL USA versions along with 280SL, 300SL,

420SL, and 500SL Euro versions. I assumed there also were 380SL and 450SL Euro versions too.

Are there others? Was the 280SL the only 6 cylinder? Which ones came from the factory with manual transmissions?

Reply to
Ptolemy

We have to sort it out: ALL versions EXCEPT 560 SL were available in Europe, too. So there were this R107 SLs produced:

280, 300, 350, 380, 420, 450, 500

The coupes C 107 SLCs were:

280, 350, 380, 450, 450 SLC 5.0, 500 SLC production ended in 1981 so no 300 and 420 for them.

No, there was also the 300SL.

For GERMANY that were 280, 300 and 350.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Produced were this R107 SLs:

280, 300, 350, 380, 420, 450, 500, 560 ALL versions EXCEPT 560 SL were available in Europe, too.

The coupes C107 SLCs were:

280, 350, 380, 450, 450 SLC 5.0, 500 SLC production ended in 1981 therefore no 300 and 420 for them.

No, there was also the 300SL.

For GERMANY that were 280, 300 and 350.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Hey Juergen... how come MB never produced a diesel convetible? Was it the smell problem?

Reply to
Tiger

No it was lack of power, remember that was ages before the new-style CDI engines with turbochargers, and too much noise; the latter - especially after cold start - still is horrible but people nowadays accept it.

And imagine 20 years ago a 240D with 72 PS was considered to have (nearly) sufficient power - today we laugh about

72 PS and an entry-level diesel E200 CDI has 123 PS...

Also there was once reported a sentence from an unnamed member of the board of Mercedes who said something like _Driving to the opera in a diesel?!?_

Ironically due to US CAFE the S-Class starting with the W116 series had a diesel engine, but for the US only. First diesel in an S-Class for Germany was in 1993: W140 with 150 PS delivering the same performance as an

109/113 PS W124 E-Class 300D.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

"Driving to the opera in diesel?!?" LOL... I am wondering myself... take a SL320 with a bad engine... junk the engine and put in a diesel... hehehe... just a thought.

Reply to
Tiger

Closest equivalent would be US version 300CD.

Oliver

Tiger schrieb:

Reply to
Ennui Society

But we are getting closer...CLK 270CDI...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

And C30 CDI AMG Sportcoupé, too.

Dori A Schmetterling schrieb:

Reply to
Ennui Society

But only as coupe

and not as cabrio
And the 270 CDI engine can not meet EURO 4 emission standards so with the E-Class there is the de-tuned

320 CDI labelled as E280CDI which meets EURO 4... ==:-(

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

I think the response of Top Gear to the Audi A4 convertible TDI made them afraid to do so...

Jannes "Juergen ." schreef > > But we are getting closer...CLK 270CDI...

Reply to
Jukebox Hero

Keep inn mind that the U.S.-version 350 SL is really a 450 SL with the trunklid badge "350 SL." It had the 4.5-liter V8 engine. MB never made a U.S.-version

3.5-liter 107 SL. The reason for this incorrect badging is that when MB introduced the 107 SL in the U.S. in the 1972 model year (late 1971), the 3.5-liter V8 was no longer legal in the U.S. due to emissions requirements. The car had to be introduced in the U.S with the 4.5-liter, low compressionn engine made for the U.S., but that engine was not yet available in Europe, and MB didn't want to give away that there was a bigger engined car in the U.S. than in Europe, so they had the cars badged as "350 SL" in the U.S. When the 450 SL was introduced in Europe, MB wrote letters to U.S. owners of "350 SL" models for them to bring their cars to the dealerships and the proper 450 SL badge would be installed. The U.S. 350 SL is often referred to as the 350 SL 4.5 although that was never its official name.

Best regards,

Danny

Reply to
E 55 AMG

MB may never have produced a diesel 107 SL, but in 1986, it actually did build a prototype or at least studied the possibility of a 300 SL/TD with the

3-liter, 6-cylinder turbodiesel engine of the W 124 300 D with 143 PS.

Best regards,

Danny

Reply to
E 55 AMG