1983 W123 240D Vacuum System

Just bought this beautiful beast. Power door locks and gas lid are not working. I understand this is due to a leak in vacuum lines. What all does the vacuum system control? What is the best method of trouble shooting?

Also, the odometer isn't moving, although the speedometer works. Is it dead?

Cheers, Seth

Reply to
Cedar

Vacuum system is supplied by an engine driven vacuum pump. Power brakes, and "comfort functions": i.e. engine shut down, climate control and locks are vacuum powered. Leaks in cars of this age typically occur in the door lock actuators and can affect the other "comfort" vacuum powered functions.

A vacuum pump I believe is called MightyVac or Mityvac or similar can be used to check system or, open the door panel and listen for a hissing vacuum leak in the lock area. Others may have better and more specific suggestions on that.

If you like the car be aggressive in fixing the vacuum leaks for the vacuum system really works well when its leakless.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

odometer shaft is metal and the drive wheel is plastic. When they are old they tend to slip. You can dis-assemble the whole unit very carefully if you want but did not help me. I used a tiny metal strip between the shaft and the wheel, it worked for about 200km then stoped again (or started to slip again)

Now I am planning to cut a grove and fix-it.

Reply to
dharma

Richard Sexton