1990 190E--->> Break squeal

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share this with you. I have a 1990 190E and lately have been experiencing some break squealling. I know that it's not a performance issue and the car stops fine, but it's still kind of annoying. Since the car is 14 years old and has the original vented discs, I am going to get new ones anyway. In this case does it matter if I just get the vented Mercedes ones, or would getting vented, drilled and slotted discs be better in breaking. Also, if anyone knows approx. how much this whole shennanigan is bound to cost please share that too.

Thanks.

WhiteBenz

Reply to
JP

I've got to push my brake pedal fairly hard to brake and seeing that I've got new pads, it must be my rotors that have become to thinn - I believe about 19mmm is minimum. Anyway, i checked the MB rotor price and it is CAN$60 or about US$45 or so each. So, no point in turning them. If you put them on yourself - very easy job - you will spend less than US100

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Thanks for this info man. I am probably gonna end up doing this myself as you suggested and be on to enjoying this great car.

WhiteBenz

Reply to
JP

Great car?! Pfft. Mine gave me nothing but trouble, one maintenance issue after another.

Back to original topic. Having to push hard on one's brake pedal can also mean that there are air bubbles in the brake fluid system.

Reply to
R Green - WoWsat.com

Bought mine straight from the German Factory and I've always kept maintenance up. True, if you had a really bad previous owner, then like any car, you are going to have problems.

As far as I am concerned, my experience w/ the 190E has been nothing but magnificent.

WhiteBenz

Reply to
JP

I have owned a 190 E for some time now. 100K miles and still a great car! Would not trade it for anything but an SLR.

Reply to
SW

I thought brake squeal arises from dust between the pads and disc.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling