260E Running a bit hot

Until recently, my 1988 260E rarely hovered above 80 degrees on the temp gauge.

But in recent months, I've noticed it pick up to 85, 95 when the car has been sitting in traffic. It cools right down once I'm cruising again.

I recently had the car serviced at a new place and I'm wondering if they are using a different type of coolant. The regular mechanic (now gone) was a bit of a fanatic on complying with what Mercedes recommended so perhaps a standard non-Mercedes coolant is being used.

Would that make any difference. What else could be causing the additional heat?

By the way I'm in Sydney, Australia. It's summer and yes it's hot. But that shouldn't a factor to push the temp up to this level.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Ryan

Heating up in heavy traffic is normal but as it's new to your car the fans' operation ought to be checked.

The engine driven fan has a viscous thermostatic clutch and the electric fan(s) an ON/OFF sensor, probably 100 degrees C.

These are the usual suspects but know that gas engines (vs. diesels) do heat up in the conditions that you describe.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

thanks - i'll check that out peter

Reply to
Peter Ryan

The coolant should be a 50/50 mix. If the antifreeze concentration is higher you loose some cooling efficiency. You should check the specs on your car but on my 190e 2.6 the Thermostat opens at 86 degrees and the fan comes on at 104. The thermal clutch on the fan also locks at 104 degress F. The only other issue may be the AC system. With AC on, the car will run cooler as one of the fans is being cycled on and off.

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

I meant degrees Celsius not F

Reply to