'87 300D 2.5 Turbo Gouge Causes

Why would there be gouges/chunks missing at the top 1/4" of the cylinder #5 wall, while this doesn't exist in the other cylinders? Could that be caused by an excessively lean mixture in that cylinder? If so, what would cause this in that cylinder only?

I've heard the injection pumps on these cars are frequent causes of trouble, and it is possible that the part of the pump responsible for cylinder #5 is bad. Is it true bad injection pumps are indicated by a rocking movement during idle? Is it also possible the injector is clogged for cylinder #5 causing it to be lean?

Reply to
Michelle

Diesels are NOT gas engines - Diesels cannot be "run too lean" because they run lean all the time! The amount of fuel put into the engine determines its power regardless of the amount of air that's put into the engine.

I'd suspect a prior owner's repair job caused the gouges or, more likely, that a valve broke off and was smashed inside the cylinder. The head and piston were subsequently replaced but the damage to the block remains.

If it didn't leak before the head was removed I'd put it back together and drive it until it does and then deal with the matter.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thank you for the reply. That is really logical -- the head appears to have been replaced and the valves appear to have been redone.

Reply to
Michelle