96 E300 Serpentine belt

I had my alternator apparently sieze up and subsequently shear apart into two pieces with the back half ending up bouncing down the street while hanging from the electrical connections. (My middle body panel is missing.

Anyway, what looks to be a simple job to replace is driving me batty. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to release the tension on the tensioner pulley. I have looked through the groups and found references to a 19mm bolt and a long tube for adjustment in the gas version, but I don't see either in my engine compartment (diesel).

Can anyone set me straight and let me know if they are indeed there and I cannot see them, or if the diesel engine has a different setup.

Thanks in advance,

-Pete

Reply to
lastv8

In the middle on top of the engine, you see like a shock absorber and a spring inside a black tube... all the way to the top you see a black plastic privot... stick a long 3/8" socket extension into that hole. This will give you the leverage to release or pull the tension of the spring.

Then there is a bolt on that privot too... remove that bolt and then the privot will slide down releasing the tension on the belt.

Reply to
Tiger