Another 1989 300E question........

Sorry to bother you guys again..... I know that the car has am air leak in the vacumm system. At idle, the car hisses quit abit. When i open up the hood it is a little louder. When closed the new inner hood insulation that I recently installed keeps it a little quiet. On a cold start i have to tap on the gas pedal-while cranking over. Again, the car has 120,000 miles on it and was pretty well maintained.

Thanks-Chuck-NJ

Reply to
Chuckyg

A vacuum leak should be fixed. Your job is to locate the leak. At hot idle carefully listen for the leak's hiss. You'll probably find a cracked or disconnected vacuum hose, probably close to the engine rather than in some remote corner. The hose can be temporarily taped until you get a replacement, be sure its vacuum hose.

The reason to fix vacuum leaks is that the leak allows unmetered air into the engine making its air / fuel ratio too lean for a smooth idle. While driving at higher speeds, a small leak becomes a smaller and smaller percentage of the total air entering the engine so the effect is imperceptible to the driver.

Happy Holiday!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach