Can I fit the CIS injection (from a W123) to a 110 engined W114 series

A bit of advice here please

Is there any way to fit the CIS (mechanical) fuel injection to a W114. Is it simply a problem of room. Also will the air filter go on top (as in the W123). I note that the earlier (77) CIS fitted to my 280E has a smaller plenum (think that's the right word) than the later (mid 80s) system. Would I 'get away with it' with this earlier system. I'm not worried about the electrical side. In fact its a lot simpler with the CIS system.

What's the show-stopper??.

Cheers... Rob.

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Hi Rob,

Do both engines have the same displacement? If so, the fuel metering part of the equation should work. Then it's a matter of making the parts fit together.

Happy New Year!

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

There were injected 280E and 280CE W114 cars sold in countries other than in North America. The main difference between the US W123 setup, and the Euro W114 setup is the positioning of the air cleaner.

Michael Trei

1985 280TE 1969 300SEL 6.3

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Michael Trei

Michael

If you can clarify for me what you say, that would help. Maybe I can flesh out my situation. I have a W123 280E (1977) with the 110 engine. This car is up and running, and I am just using it to look at for reference. My friend has the 1972 W114 series car that he is completely re-building. It was badged as a 250, but it has the 110 engine. This was seized when he got it. It was complete with its BOSCH D Jetronic (electronic) fuel injection. Asside:- Mercedes seem to have gone away from this system for reasons unknown. I think that it was primarily because the K Jetronic mechanical CIS is much simpler and much more reliable (my 123 system looks bomb proof, tho it does need some new O-rings on the injectors).

To fix my friends problem, he aquired a much later (mid 80's) S class

280E, with the ubiquitous 110 engine (for interest, it came with a newly re-furbished engine). This engine has a slightly later (and more complicated [EGR]) CIS system fitted, that it would be nice to use (since its all fitted, and the donor car was a runner). Now The big difference (apart from the EGR equipment that I would propose to dispense with) is that this cars CIS plenum is much bigger (wider and lower) than the one on my W123. The overall air filter position on the air flow meter looks similar to mine. So Will it fit? The original electronic w114 system looks complicated, and to be frank, I didn't remove the system from the car when it was stripped, so I'm not completely comfortable with getting it all back. Also, the engine was seized, so I don't even know if the system is working. There's a lot of little 'snaggettes' in there I know. It could be a lost cause. So I note your comments about the air filter. Is there an adaptor kit that will fit the low mounted air filter on the original W114 to the mechanical setup (if installed) in the W114.

Hope you (or another expert) can give me the clues.

Thanks... Rob.

Michael Trei wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Hello Tom

Always nice to hear from you and to have your views. This car isn't mine. Its a good friends and he's done a bare metal re-build on the body. He's not a purist though (neither am I). He just wants a real nice classy runner when he's finished. As for your point. Yes. Its the same unit, but from a later 280E S class car. The CIS is all fitted (and worked, the donor car was an A1 runner). Its just the width (of the mechanical CIS) and the height (of the air filter), that's the question. Its gotta just go in without too much struggling. I know the original W114 filter is off to the front in a recess in the inner wing. This fits onto the throttle body housing via some sort of pipe.

Cheers... Rob.

"T.G. Lambach" wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Rob, It may be simpler to think about some DIY plumbing than to look all over for parts that may or may not exist. Thin wall pipe and clamped on rubber connection hoses could be used as the air duct, all DIY. Be creative!

Cheers!

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach