daimler chrysler spinoffs to the Benz product

I am very amused by the latest round of Chrysler commercials that tout "german engineering" as part of the Chrysler product.

However any word on the Crossfire? Is it as good as the dealers are saying. They keep telling me that I shoudl dump my Benz and get it... that it is a Benz in Chrysler badge, for less money.

Any thoughts?

Rich

Reply to
Rich Williamson

Rich Williamson haute in die Tasten:

Mercedes started making the SLK in 1996. The car was based on the C-Class launched in 1993. Now the Crossfire shares most technical components with the old SLK, while Mercedes will soon launch the new SLK with new suspension, new engines and new gearboxes. So the Crossfire is based on outdated technology, which explains its quite low price. OTOH the crossfire is manufactured by Karmann in Osnabrueck/Northern Germany. These guys have quite a good reputation for making quality cars. When german car mag Auto Motor Sport tested the Crossfire, they liked it very much. However they did no comparison with the SLK. Hint: If you want a two seater convertible with Mercedes technology and canvas top, wait for the Crossfire convertible, because Mercedes roadsters feature retractable metal roofs.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

From what I heard its based on the SLK, which in turn is based on the previous generation C-class which is now a 10 year old design, and rather stodgy to drive.

The Crossfire is a "quick fix" to try and help Daimlerchrysler sales to recover.

Most people agree either the Nissan 350Z or Mazda RX8 are much better cars, and cheaper to boot.

Reply to
Oliver Keating