MB diesels in USA

I had a 1981 300D from 1991 to 2005, and I put 244,000 miles on it. Great daily driver, but I did not want to cough up for engine work (seals were shot) so I sold it on eBay. Also, larger than I want.

My current daily driver is a 2000 Dodge Stratus with the 2.5L Mitsubishi V6, which is past 114,000 miles total, and runs great. However I prefer driving a smaller car for commuting.

With Acura's diesel TSX coming out in 2009, any chance of a C-class Benz in the USA, in the next 5 years?

Reply to
mrkwscha

From Consumer Reports articles on the reliability of MBZ cars these days, I wouldn't even think of it. Visit your local public library and browse them.

Reply to
RF

Would it be an idea to buy one in europe and ship it home

Reply to
Richard Bird

These days doing this is almost impossible. You will need to have the car modified to meet all USA EPA and DOT specifications before you can register it. This currently costs at least $10k.

I would love to be able to have a car with the 2.2L CDI engine and a six speed manual transmission, having rented these amazing cars several times in Germany. They're plenty fast, and get over 40 mpg. Unfortunately MBUSA seems convinced that all their customers want cars with 600 horsepower rather than something that gets good mileage. Even the Smart that they sell here gets pathetic mileage compared with the Euro versions. Go figure.

TFN

Reply to
TFN

It used to be due to the environmental controls fitted to EU cars that are sold in the US, perhaps thats still the case I once drove a uk vehicle that had been supplied officially to the US for sale their, it drove like a dog because of all the extra envornmental controls fitted. At that time I spoke with a Canadian based mechanic who stated they were allways getiing asked to remove these controls on EU cars that had been exported to the US The EU & US envornmental measures are completely different - obviously we live on a different planet :) - My 320cdi S class returns 45- 50mpg (UK) at a steady 80 mph on the freeway

Reply to
OldMan

This may have been true 25 years ago, but is no longer valid. Today's European emissions standards are different from the US, but overall are just as tough.

If you compare models that are sold in both countries such as the ML320 CDI, the US version is just as fast as the Euro version.

Currently, the only E Class Diesel sold in the US is the E320 BluTEC, which does the 0-60 mph run in 6.6 seconds, with an EPA highway fuel of 32 mpg (smaller US gallons). That's great, but I think many Americans would be more than happy with the E220 CDI, which in European trim lets that 0-60 time slip to about 8 seconds, but manages about 47 mpg highway. If available it would have the highest highway mileage car of any type sold in the US, better even than the Prius or Smart.

It seems to me that while the car companies are faffing about with Hydrogen and hybrids, Diesel cars could lower our average fuel consumption dramatically, and could be on the market very quickly. For some reason however, the car companies won't allow Americans to buy them.

TFN

Reply to
TFN

I don't think the diesel s can be imported __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply to
jdoe

Lack of availability of suitable diesel fuel nationwide?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

where in the US is "suitable" diesel not available?

__________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply to
jdoe

That's the excuse they used to give, but it's no longer valid. Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel has been the US standard since October 15 2006. The only places where ULSD isn't widely available is rural parts of Alaska.

TFN

Reply to
TFN

TFN, you are incorrect. The correct date after which all retail diesel in the US must be ULSD is Dec 1, 2010. Refiners and importers are restricted to late 2006. I'm actually suprised that car manufacturers are so quick to respond. Hey, I'm Canadian and seem to know more about your laws.... but that's not suprising is it :-)

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Here in So-cal, there is diesel fuel at regular gas stations. Problem is most gas stations only sell gas. Diesel is available, but you have know where to get it. If you are running on empty, and looking for fuel, it can be frustrating.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

regardless of the effective date, I challenge anyone to tell me where for the diesel that is not compliant is currently sold __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply to
jdoe

if you own a diesel you know how to find the diesel pumps, I've driven diesels all around the US and Canada since the early '90s and never had a problem finding fuel __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply to
jdoe

You figure that - now the US has ULSD fuel and all 50 states will have a unified emissions standard - all auto makers will be importing their diesels sooner or later...

Reply to
PerfectReign

Guenter;

I know that, which is why I chose my words carefully. ULSD is what you will now find at 99.99 percent of US Diesel pumps. The EPA established it as the standard as of Oct 15 2006, and California has required it since Sept 1 2006. Almost all new Diesel cars and trucks sold in the USA from model year 2007 (including Mercedes) require ULSD.

The only place where you might still find higher sulfer Diesel sold for on road use is rural Alaska. As you stated correctly, the date when it becomes illegal to sell non ULSD for on road use is Dec 2010.

TFN.

Reply to
TFN

Just not the one that allows 'high'-performance engines which run on very low-sulfur fuel...

From the correspondence it seems that the right fuel for the 'normal' turbo-diesel engines is already widely available in the US or will be soon.

I wonder if you have driven such a modern turbo-diesel car. The difference between old and new is almost like day and night. This is one of the reasons for the massive take-up of diesel cars in Europe, even in Britain, where diesel has been dearer than (standard 95-octane) petrol for years.

Although there is some clatter audible on the outside there is nothing on the inside... and the performance! Pulling power that is 'pleasant'...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling