Mercedes Benz headlamps wanted

Hello again Experts,

I seem to have fallen down a hole recently. I moved from a country that drives on the right side of the road to one that drives on the left. The 1984 Mercedes Benz 240 D now has problems with the headlights. If the existing lamps are used while driving on the left side, dipping will likely blind the oncoming drivers on the right side of the road (as seen by the left side driver).

These lamps are sealed beams about 7" or 18 cms in diameter. I have two with markings on the glass : AO4, 2D1, Sylvania Halogen, Sealed Beam. Does anyone know of a source of these for left hand-driving?

TIA

Reply to
Seum

You don't need to buy sealed beam headlight to replace it. I suggest you look for Cibie headlights for your car... you should be able to source a pair for your car... that conforms to your local code. The Cibie has replaceble filaments... like H4.

Cibie headlights are outstanding... I had a pair long ago.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks Roland and Tiger.

You did a great job. Here is one example of what I found:

"VALEO Part # 082441 CIBIE ACCESSORIES; Section: Outer section; For left-hand traffic; with high beam, with low beam; Diameter [mm]: 178; Bulb Type: H4; Halogen; Round; Weight [kg]: 0,6; Left, Right; without bulb. Category: Headlamp Assembly

  • Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days - .79 each.

I just noted that the bulbs are not included :-( but the bulb type is given as - Bulb Type: H4; Halogen; Round.

Estimate for the shipping will add about $30. I was surprised that this unit is for left-hand traffic and using metric - in USA.

Would you two experts approve of this one?

TIA

Reply to
Seum

$30 each... great price! Get Hella H4 bulbs to go with it and you are golden. You will be shocked how much better the light output is.

Reply to
Tiger

This is where I bought my set...

I think you may be needing the RHD version... as in UK, Japan, Australia... etc.

And yes, so much more expensive.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks Tiger for the suggestion. Will look into it.

Reply to
Seum

I'll check that link - wow! they are expensive.

I believe these countries - UK, Japan, Australia..etc drive on the LEFT side of the roads.

"VALEO Part # 082441 CIBIE ACCESSORIES; Section: Outer section; For LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC ; with high beam, with low beam; Diameter [mm]: 178; Bulb Type: H4; Halogen; Round; Weight [kg]: 0,6; Left, Right; without bulb. Category: Headlamp Assembly

  • Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days - .79 each."

This indicates left-hand traffic.

Reply to
Seum

Reply to
Tiger

Not to mention Eire, the entire Indian Subcontinent, swathes of Africa...

About one-third of the world drives on the left.

No doubt if it hadn't been for ol' Napoleon a whole lot more countries would be driving on the left, the more 'natural' side (though with modern conditions this is of little consequence).

DAS

Reply to
DAS

PS.

With headlamps that old why don't you put masking tape on? It's officially available and costs little. I did that when bring a LHD 200 from Germany to UK c. 1982.

Only when I smashed a light did I replace it (and the other one) with the 'UK-spec' version.

DAS

Reply to
DAS

I'm having a huge struggle here. Sent out about 15 requests and nobody has the left-hand-side-of-the-road headlamps.

Reply to
Seum

Why not just order from Rockauto?

Reply to
Tiger

I don't know which country you are in... I searched ebay UK... There is one for cheap!

This is European headlight... UK... One full glass instead of the rounds like USA... Whenever I buy MB, I always put euro code headlight on it.

Even here... it said Right Hand Drive UK... I suppose they look at it... if you face the car... if they drive on left side of the road... it is our Right Hand...

For US, they drive on the right side of the road... Left Hand.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks again Tiger - Here's the answer:

"Hello,

I'm sorry, but we're not able to search our inventory based on dimensions. I'm afraid I can't offer any further advice on creating custom headlights for your vehicle.

Thank you,

Justin RockAuto Customer Service

phone: (608) 661-1376 fax: (608) 836-5694 toll-free: 1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288)

"

Not too encouraging.

Reply to
Seum

Thank you Tiger.

I'll check the EBay one soon, even though I have heard much negative things about the quality from EBay.

I have written (in German :-) ) to the place where I ordered that car from - Hans Tesmer, Grossmoorbogen 23, 2100 Hamburg 90. If they can't help there, they must know about other Mercedes places in Germany that has what I am looking for.

Reply to
Seum

Here is some clarification:

In UK the description LHD (left-hand drive) or RHD refers to the position of the steering wheel.

We drive on the left.

Thus, e.g.in Continental Europe they have LHD cars driving on the right.

I trust that's simple.

DAS

Reply to
DAS

That makes more sense!

Doh!... Left Hand Drive is when we sit on Left side of the car...

Right Hand Drive... when we sit on the right side of the car...

DOH!

Tiger

Why do you feel it's more natural to drive on the left? Driving a LHD stick shift definitely feels less natural to me. Shifting from 2 to 3 or from 4 to 5 is a weird sideways motion, while on an RHD it's just a straight push away from the driver.

X.

Reply to
Ximinez

Most people are right-handed. So they draw/drew their sword with their right hand to challenge oncoming chariots/coaches.

The Romans instituted driving on the left for that very reason.

DAS

Reply to
DAS

Mmm. You'd think you'd want their shield to face the potential enemy...

Any way, technical developments seem to have made that preference obsolete.

X.

Reply to
Ximinez